Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann Class 37 drive shaft problem

Alcanman

Hi,

I have a Bachmann Class 37 which has 1 bogie where the drive shaft bearing is missing and simply refuses to move.

Here's a pic to illustrate.

post-7898-0-26638500-1316804106.jpg

The other bogie is fine, here's a pic

post-7898-0-38008100-1316804167.jpg

Can anyone suggest a solution?

I understand some people have superglued the bearing back into position, however, as the bearing is missing

this is not an option.

thanks,

Mal

Hi Craig,

The loco isn't new. Originally, it ran fine after running in on a circle of track. Then for a while on my layout, Websters Steel, it was fine, although a tad noisy.

Then it started stuttering and finally, stopped altogether. I'll e-mail Bachmann'

Thanks,

Mal

...Can anyone suggest a solution? ...

Quick, cheap and dirty to get you running, make a substitute bearing from a thick plasticard disc with a hole in, or a piece of tubing (plastic or brass) bored out to the right i.d. , exterior cut donw to fit the mounting.

Tack it lightly in place with cyano so that it is easily removed when Bachmann supply the correct part.

All you are aiming to do is keep the worm properly engaged with the gear it drives. Without the bearing to restrain it, it will lift itself above the gear, and with the bogie wheels not turning one end the loco goes nowhere fast, just makes gear grinding noises.

Archived