Difference in Sound Decoders

snoopy421

Agreement to that here. One difference thats very apparent between the two is ''responsiveness''. The Howes chips are very responsive to throttle changes but can pay for this in very short sound segments, which can sometimes be obviously heard repeating! On the other hand the SWD (and Digitrains) sound segments are often longer with no obvious repeat, but can take an age to run up or run down again. HTH, kev.

Agreement to that here. One difference thats very apparent between the two is ''responsiveness''. The Howes chips are very responsive to throttle changes but can pay for this in very short sound segments, which can sometimes be obviously heard repeating! On the other hand the SWD (and Digitrains) sound segments are often longer with no obvious repeat, but can take an age to run up or run down again. HTH, kev.

Do all Digitrains sounds act in this way Kev? It's a very broad statement.

I've read that Digitrains Zimo Multi-Drives are some of the most responsive.

Paul

I have some from each and I'm happy with them all. I also have 2 08's, one with howes, one with SWD

I have to agree with Richard here, both do the same engines but they sound slightly different (just like the real things would) so I would have a mixture of both to avoid repetition. Generally I think Howes do have the better sound's but South West Digital are just as good.

Do all Digitrains sounds act in this way Kev? It's a very broad statement.

I've read that Digitrains Zimo Multi-Drives are some of the most responsive.

Paul

Very broad Paul!!! Certainly the ones I've got (or tried) behave more like SWD than Howes. It's not a criticism, just something for the OP to bear in mind. I've not tried a multidrive but surely the sound segments will be the same length? kev.

Legobiffoman Decoders stocked at www.dckits-devideos.co.uk. If of interest. Charlie

whilst I have used SWD & Howes sound most of my stock is from Olivia's Trains. I have a class 31 & 37 with Howes sound & they are absolutely fine I did have a class 40 with SWD sound but I didn't like it. I had it reblown at Olivia's & it now sounds great. Olivia's will do you a reblow very cheaply & if you have any of their sounds they will reblow for free!!! I was at Olivia's recently & they customised some of my loco sounds for me, taking out odd sounds I didin't want etc all of which they did for nothing. On a cost note I think you will also find Olivia's is a fair bit cheaper than Howes.

Cheers

silverlink

I've used a variety of sound decoders/reblows since converting to DCC in 2006/7, SWD/Howes/Olivia's/Bach etc etc. For Loksound 3.5's the best sounding/driveable decoders I have are easily "legomanbiffo"s reblows, fabulous drivability, sensible functions and PLAYABLE horns ;-) followed by Howes. However, having just fitted 2 x 37's with Digitrains Multidrive decoders, WOW these are in a different league altogether, with a much fuller sounding growl, making some others sound almost tinny. Great sounds at a bargain price! Other than a Class 20, I've not heard any other V4 Loksound, but I'm sure legomanbiffo (Ian Bishop) will no doubt be working wonders with them soon also.

PS The 37 (Olivia's) pulling away on kevpeo's layout sounded good !

Very broad Paul!!! Certainly the ones I've got (or tried) behave more like SWD than Howes. It's not a criticism, just something for the OP to bear in mind. I've not tried a multidrive but surely the sound segments will be the same length? kev.

Kev,

No, your assumptions are completely incorrect. The sound files are diffferent, are of different lengths and also used differently. Of course if you haven't heard them, you have no idea what you are missing.

They are nothing like SWD at all.

Ask people who have actually tried them for the facts rather than rely on uninformed opinions.

Kind regards,

Paul

''uninformed opinions'' ? Cool your jets Paul! Whose uninformed opinions? The only opinion mentioned was mine and I have tried (and own) several Digitrains chip fitted locos and while good, I find them more akin to a SWD project than a Howes one. There may be others that I haven't tried that aren't but hey, thats life, I'll never own them all! :no: As for the ''multi-drive'' ones I did point out I hadn't tried one, and was asking a question, one programmer to another! From your previous posts elsewhere on here I was under the impresion that the same sound segments were played, but using the function buttons to activate the slots, rather than settings in the sound program (the auto version?) I'll look forward to a demo from someone at the L&Ydcc group show.

yours,

Kev.

''uninformed opinions'' ? Cool your jets Paul! Whose uninformed opinions? The only opinion mentioned was mine and I have tried (and own) several Digitrains chip fitted locos and while good, I find them more akin to a SWD project than a Howes one. There may be others that I haven't tried that aren't but hey, thats life, I'll never own them all! :no: As for the ''multi-drive'' ones I did point out I hadn't tried one, and was asking a question, one programmer to another! From your previous posts elsewhere on here I was under the impresion that the same sound segments were played, but using the function buttons to activate the slots, rather than settings in the sound program (the auto version?) I'll look forward to a demo from someone at the L&Ydcc group show.

yours,

Kev.

Kev,

I'm cool.

I am sorry if my words offended you.

You said you had not tried Multi-Drive, yet expressed an opinion about them. That seem to me to be an uninformed opinion. I wrote to set the record straight, that's all.

Happy to discuss at LYDCC, (But not in the car park, Ha ha).

Kind regards,

Paul

Ho hum, thats where the confusion lies, I see a question, you see an opinion! :D Look forward to meeting you soon, but no, not in the car park! (Unless you want to help us unload our layout that is!) kev.

Kev,

Thanks for the invitation, but I only like to handle one bogbrush at at time! Ha Ha.

Shall we agree on 'rhetorical question' then?

Paul

• 3 months later...

Without going off topic here does legobiffoman have a contact email or is he a member of our parish?? I've just read this forum & i've been watching a lot of youtube videos to decide myself which is best. Legobiffoman has in my opinion got the best sounds with some fantastic features that some other companies miss. I have 2 decoders that are currently in models that i want reblowing for a class 70 & a class 90 after watching legobiffomans videos.

Simon

I have digitrains Zimo diesel 37/47 these are fantastic!! especially being able to notch up manually excellent and the sounds are crisp and throaty. I have the howes 108 dmu best ive heard there. I have two olivias emu close enough 4 cep sounds which are near to the 501 sound sort of..... exceptable.

Mark.

Archived