Fitting sound to a Bachmann 150 in OO?

James Hilton

Hi chaps,

I'm new to this DCC malarkey but to gently dip my toe in I'm looking to build a short SLT branch.

I'm keen to try some DCC sound, and the thought of a revving sprinter with all the door buzzers and everything else, plus some flange squeal etc has got me hooked.

So...

I've looked at the Howes ESU decoders - which I gather are great quality, and also the Olivia's train option (a little cheaper).

I'm a complete DCC novice (though by no means a modelling novice).

The thought of fitting and messing up a DCC sound installation (due to the costs involved) is making me wonder about getting it professionally fitted... however I wanted to gather the RMweb knowledge together and ask...

'How hard is it - and how do I do it!!?'

Pragmatic answers on a post card. I look forward to reading them - hopefully a few days so I can prepare the credit card for a bashing! :)

Cheers

James.

• RMweb Gold

you may be better asking this in the dcc sound section!

Anyway the Bachmann 150 has a 21 pin socket so its just a case of putting the chip in and wiring a speaker to the speaker tabs on the pcb, i believe there is even a space for the speaker to fit already

If you look in the dcc sound section you should find a video of my howes sprinter chip fitted to a Hornby 153 with all the door sounds, buzzer etc (in srmans sound clip video thread)

you may be better asking this in the dcc sound section!

Anyway the Bachmann 150 has a 21 pin socket so its just a case of putting the chip in and wiring a speaker to the speaker tabs on the pcb, i believe there is even a space for the speaker to fit already

If you look in the dcc sound section you should find a video of my howes sprinter chip fitted to a Hornby 153 with all the door sounds, buzzer etc (in srmans sound clip video thread)

Cheers Jim - I ummmed and ahhhd for a while about which forum it went it - but then decided it was a DCC question!

Can someone confirm if there is space for a speaker (and if so which size)

Can someone else confirm how easy it is to fit, and how easy is the Bachmann 150 to strip down?

I can confirm that there is space for a speaker but I do not know what size.

Cheers guys...

A Google turns up this from the old forum (the Google Cache as the old forum still isn't working)

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:L0l7AELq11AJ:www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php%3Ff%3D110%26t%3D51183+site:rmweb.co.uk+fitting+sound+decoder+to+Bachmann+150&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Still no clearer on speaker size but feeling more confident now!

Cheers guys...

A Google turns up this from the old forum (the Google Cache as the old forum still isn't working)

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:L0l7AELq11AJ:www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php%3Ff%3D110%26t%3D51183+site:rmweb.co.uk+fitting+sound+decoder+to+Bachmann+150&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Still no clearer on speaker size but feeling more confident now!

In general the biggest speaker that will fit in 00 gauge is 23mm. Fitting sound chips is straightforward enough but the speaker represents the biggest challenge. As many hours as you spend sealing the speaker enclosure and finding a secure mounting that doesn't foul the body will be well rewarded with a good sound. Surgery to the model is frequently needed.

I have not fitted a chip to a 150 and each loco requires a different approach so I remain silent on the actualities.

In general, adjusting the sounds on RTR chips is fraught and, if you can't live with the results it is best to return the model complete to your supplier. Obviously, running characteristics can be altered and basic addresses etc can be changed easily but if you alter any of the CV's correlated to the sound schedule, you may lose control of some sounds.

Always keep a list of each CV that you change with its original value and your changed value and only change one CV at a time.

Hi James.

I have fitted my Regi Rail 150 with sound.

First off i would reccomend going for the Howes sound chip as i had a 153 chip from Olivias which had 4 gear changes in the sound track!!!!!

I have got the Howes sounds and it is superb.

With regards to the speaker that i first fitted it is sold by howes and they call it 50448 its a 22mm x 44mm.

There are lugs inside the Chassis which the speaker fits on fine.

However i have decided that to my ears it sounded a bit tinny,so i have fitted a bass enhanced speaker DCCS02-100.

This has improved the sounds no end,it involved thinning the fuel tanks and the section next to it.

Hope this helps

Archived