TEA blue bogie tanks what were they for and were did they go?

richard60098

Good Evening all, i've only found this pic up to now see link http://www.martinbray-ukloco.com/images/class56/56130-britonferryy-200996.jpg i want to model these blue TEA bogie tanks behind this 56 does anyone know what they carried and were they went? I believe this was a north east train which ran in the 90's using Immingham loco's i.e 37's 56's but stopped a while ago i presume.

Does anyone know of or have any better pics so i can see wat goes were and what type of blue to use?

Many Thanks

Rick.

I think you'll find that the 'blue' is in fact the light grey of an 'ordinary' 100ton tankcar for Class A traffic - that pic has a noticeable colour cast and I suspect that might be making the rtc look a bit blue in some lights/on some monitors.

I'd go with Mike on this one; I'd be tempted to say the wagon was reflecting the colour of the sky, but the photo was taken at Briton Ferry, between Neath and Port Talbot, where blue skies are seldom seen....

Yes, the blue TEA tanks were used for styrene monomer between Immingham and Stalybridge. There's a couple of pictures of them here:

http://paulbartlett....929c3#h39b929c3

HTH

That is the type in the photograph Rick asked about - solebar over the bogies and then the channel moves to beneath the barrel. The others - as Ben A mentions are a batch of 5 wagons PR82602 - 06. Notice these are Standard wagons and have a continous solebar (unlike the far commoner bogie tank wagons based on the Met Camm design of c1967). I.ve not scanned my phots of these.

Paul Bartlett

Hi chaps, thakyou very much yes i knew they were blue not just the sun reflecting on them! Seen them before back in the day at Stalybridge and Briton Ferry just wanted som fots of them to copy them in oo gauge model form.

Think there was around 6 in rake but couldn't get to them i passed on a 158 at Stalybridge and saw a 56 backing on to them but the 56 hauled train didn't come thru so i carried on the next train to were i was going.

I did check google, pauls site, flickr and wagons on the web but as you can see i'm not to good at finding them i must be geting old:) so what colour would you say for the blue guys? Think i have some Phoenix blues here wat may be ok but any ideas would be great?

Many thanks

Rick.

I have now posted the photographs of those converted from lagged Standard wagon built wagons, see http://paulbartlett..../styrenemonomer

Paul Bartlett

Hi Paul, thankyou for posting/adding the extra pics gives me even more to work with now:) must say these tanks are different and i quite like the pale blue look rather than the norm grey, green, black look most have.

Cheers again

Rick.

The tanks used to move Styrene from Immingham to Stalyebridge and also form Baglan Bay to Staylebridge the Baglan Bay flow finished in around 1999 and the Immingham flow still runs but using different tanks both turns were allocated an Immingham based 37/7 but as can be seen 56s would deputise from time to time

Hello all,

Interesting thread. Just wanted to say thanks to Paul Bartlett for posting the additional photos of the tanks with the full length solebars.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben, yes Pauls a star his wagon pics alone are superb every wagon i've done up to now has been made thru his cracking site.

I like modelling wagons that aren't the norm and these blue bogie tanks area must have if not least just by there colour as i'm sure when there done they'll look right at home behind a sector 37/7 :sungum: :no:

Hello all,

Interesting thread. Just wanted to say thanks to Paul Bartlett for posting the additional photos of the tanks with the full length solebars.

cheers

Ben A.

Standard wagon did many small batches of bogie wagons which are similar, with this more conventional straight solebar. It is a pity that the model manufacturers have not noticed this significant difference.

Paul Bartlett

Hi Ben, yes Pauls a star his wagon pics alone are superb every wagon i've done up to now has been made thru his cracking site.

I like modelling wagons that aren't the norm and these blue bogie tanks area must have if not least just by there colour as i'm sure when there done they'll look right at home behind a sector 37/7 :sungum: :no:

Many years ago I did an entire presentation at Scaleforum (or similar) just based on blue wagons. It surprised me how many different ones I could come up with.

Paul Bartlett

Archived