Greenbrier Junction, C&O and W/M in H0 scale from the MMRS.

Allegheny1600

Welcome to the new US outline layout being constructed by some members of the MMRS. This layout has actually had a fairly complex birth, at first it was to be a British outline ‘00’ gauge “beginners†layout, then it moved on from that to be an up-to-date ‘00’ layout based in the Peak district, unfortunately there just didn’t seem to be the interest amongst the membership for that.

This being the case, a group of newer members decided that, seeing they had been given the task of actually constructing the new baseboards, they would see if they could run US outline H0 rolling stock on the layout as that is what they are into! Other members were canvassed to see what the level of membership interest actually was, we then went and proposed our ideas to the committee.

This met with approval and hence, plans were drawn up, a leader, Les A. was elected and track, buildings and materials were placed on and around the layout to see how things looked and away we went!

post-6892-0-19207800-1317168413.jpg

L-R Bob H. Gordon. Les A. Vic.

The layout is based in the Appalachian region of the mid/south eastern region of the USA and set in the “transition era†- which, in America means the early nineteen fifties. Therefore both steam and diesel locomotives can be used, not only does this give us additional operational interest, it means we can have the fascinating apparatus that goes into a steam loco servicing point!

This is coal country with a variety of railroads serving the region, so as two of the main ’stock providing’ members have rolling stock for both the “Western Maryland†and “Chesapeake & Ohio†railroads, a location was chosen where these two roads could meet. Greenbrier Junction is just such a place although we have only used the name, rather than copying any exact track or station plans, the actual model does not exist in reality! What we wanted to do instead was aim to try and capture the ‘feel’ of the place and also have something we could enjoy operating trains on, which would pretty much always have something moving. This in turn should keep the public at exhibitions entertained and hopefully, enlightened!

Cheers,

John E.

Construction Details.

Here we have applied a lot of thought, experience and knowledge built up over many years exhibiting! The boards are not only lightweight but very, very quick to assemble and knock down, very useful at the end of a tiring show!

We have built four baseboards of 4’6” length by 2’6” depth, giving us a layout of 18 feet by 2’6” that stands about 3’6” high, though the back-scene makes it appear much taller!

post-6892-0-62535400-1317168724.jpg

The principle construction material is 9mm ply, 6” deep strengthened with 3” x ½” timber battens under the baseboards. A notable feature is the back-scene which is integral with the framing giving great strength and stiffness to the boards.

post-6892-0-02171500-1317168770_thumb.jpg

The legs too (simple 2”x1” timber), are integral and fold away beneath the baseboard, along with the leg bracing - everything either hinges or uses case catches, no loose nuts and bolts here.

post-6892-0-62535400-1317168724.jpg

post-6892-0-91136400-1317168930_thumb.jpg

Hopefully, the photos should make all this quite clear!

Cheers,

John E.

post-6892-0-79148400-1317168871_thumb.jpg

Hmmm! That didn't work too well, sorry! Anyway, on with the story,

Track planning.

We spent quite a bit of time searching through “Model Railroader” and “Model Railroad Planning” as well as actual designing various plans before we arrived at the present plan. This was because we have certain principles to follow i.e. the layout has to have a ‘purpose’, be entertaining to the public and also, entertaining and even, challenging to the operators. There is nothing worse than operating a ‘boring’ layout for hours on end, except maybe, watching such a layout when it is obvious the operators are bored too.

We were also ‘stuck’ with the rigid 18’ x 2’6” size of the original layout, there was no way we could squeeze any further length or depth out of our allocated space!

So the plan we came up with was to have a fiddle yard hidden beneath a hill with a single line emerging from a tunnel, almost immediately crossing over a river (perfectly prototypical in this part of the world!), passing a small loco servicing yard and then splitting, one line going to what we (in the UK) know as colliery sidings, the other line going on towards a main ‘yard’, various sidings and ‘depot’.

The ‘colliery sidings’ would be where empty coal trains arrive and the mainline loco then removes the caboose and ‘retires’ for awhile. A switch engine or ‘mine run’ loco then takes charge and breaks the train into manageable sections, this then goes forward and into a ‘lead’ (or headshunt!) at the far end of the colliery sidings. A severe grade is posted here! Once sufficiently far forward, a switch is cleared to allow the ‘mine run’ train to ascend further up this ‘switchback’ line, climbing up past the yard and the loco facilities, over the river on a higher level, through a ridge and into the ‘coal mine’ area (above the fiddle yard!).

Being set in this part of the USA, this is not actually the coal mine itself however, it is just the ‘tipple’ where coal has been sent from the mine, cleaned, graded and stored ready for shipment. Our mine run loco then further breaks the short train into ‘cuts’ of one or two ‘cars‘, ready for loading (with real coal!). Once this is done, the whole process simply runs in reverse, ending with a loaded train in the fiddle yard.

Back to the rest of the layout, the yard can be used for longer coal trains (or simply, trains with too long/heavy locos!), local pick-up freights, simply known as ‘locals’ in US parlance and trains of one company coming in to exchange cars with the other company.

At this time, we can still run short passenger trains too, so there should always be plenty of activity on the layout.

Once we knew we were going to have a river, we realised that we needed to elevate the track levels (rather than cut into the baseboard) so we added an series of 2”x1” battens on top of the boards, this is only to have plywood roadbed where there is actually track. This feature will also be useful when building the tipple line, so we can get the gradient right.

post-6892-0-92342600-1317169338.jpg

Cheers,

John E.

Trackwork.

Having decided upon a workable track plan, we then set about placing track on the layout. We have used Peco code 83 American line track as it is reasonably priced, fairly accurate looking, good performing and fairly easily available. However, Bob H. along with Les A. and the rest of the team decided that the switch blades were the weak point and has set about them and replaced both the original blades and the over centre springing unit to give us a finer looking and more reliable point (switch!).

What we are doing now is physically fine tuning the track plan and setting the locations for the point motors.

post-6892-0-63641100-1317169473_thumb.jpg

I guess I had better take a better, close up picture of the modified switch! (must get properly used to using US parlance on this thread!).

That's it for now anyway,

Cheers,

John E.

• 4 months later...

I'm interested, because many years ago I built a layout on a door - one of those never-to-be-repeated learning experiences! It was called the "Greenbrier Midland" and ran up the Greenbrier River valley northwards to Morganstown. At the same time - unknown to me Giles Barnabe was building an N Gauge Greenbrier RR which showed up in Scale Model Trains - we corresponded and his eventually appeared in RM with one of my boxcars appearing in the photos - I'd done a reletter and paint job

post-8585-0-75512800-1329351938_thumb.jpg

Cheers for posting, Darren!

I see there is a hole in the end board ....have you gained some extra space for a fiddle yard ???

Hi Trevor,

Acutely observed Sir!

Actually that is a small rectangle of black foam! I certainly did a double take when I read your post about us gaining extra space - that is the plan! We eventually want to extend the line that runs two tracks to the right of the black foam, in order to give more scope for operation.

Sadly, currently, this is not possible as we only have a limited amount of room in our clubrooms but when we're at shows....? (who knows?)

Hi Jack,

Greenbriers here, Greenbriers there, Greenbriers everywhere!

Hope you all enjoy seeing our progress!

Cheers,

John E.

Archived