Wadebridge Building Plans

jonhopper

Can anyone help with plans for the buildings at Wadebridge?

I had a N gauge layout many years ago, and am coming back to it to try again... But have lost all the reference materials I had then...

I have drawings for the engine shed, but nothing for the other buildings.

Thanks

They were published in Modelelr's Backtrack at some point, I'll see if I can work out what issue.

The Modellers' Back Track issue was February/March 1995 - Vol 4 Number 6 pp 311-320 and the plans were part of an article by A. Henderson describing his model of Wadebridge.

The plans included were to Scale 1mm = 1ft and were as follows:

Wadebridge Main Station Building - side and end elevations, overhead roof detail and internal layout floorplan - as surveyed in July 1982

Wadebridge Goods Shed(1960) - side and end elevations and overhead plan - as surveyed in July 1982.

Wadebridge East Signal Box - front and side elevations and part of rear elevation and overhead internal layout plan -stated as post 1945 layout.

Wadebridge Engine Shed, Water Tank and hoist (1960) - North/South side elevations, East/West end elevations and overhead/roof plan.

No plans plans of the Wadebridge Island Platform Building are included, although there was an 8 page article by Frank Crudass in the 1980 MRC Annual, which described the construction of his model of Wadebridge Island platform and the building. The article includes an overhead plan of the Island Platform Building accomodation layout which quotes the overall footprint size as being 33' by 10' and a partial "cross-section" to show the ornamental support bracket size/arrangement. There are four photos of the prototype and a three of the model and it captures the character of the prototype quite well.

David

The Shed drawing is available in An Historical Survey of Southern Sheds, and copies are available to buy - one here http://batterdalebooks.co.uk/Southern_Railway.htm.

I cannot track down a copy of the Modeller's Backtrack February/March 1995 - Vol 4 Number 6 - can anyone help me out either with a copy or scanning the rlevant pages? Would be much appreciated!

• RMweb Premium

I cannot track down a copy of the Modeller's Backtrack February/March 1995 - Vol 4 Number 6 - can anyone help me out either with a copy or scanning the rlevant pages? Would be much appreciated!

I strongly suspect I've ended up with two copies of that issue, if you want one for the cost of postage ping me an email to spamcan63@gmail.com

• RMweb Premium

The Shed drawing is available in An Historical Survey of Southern Sheds, and copies are available to buy - one here http://batterdaleboo...ern_Railway.htm.

I've dug out my copy of this book - I'd forgotten one of the few drawings was actually an end and long elevation of the shed. I do remember thinking that I wasn't that confident that the drawing was totally accurate when compared against photos. Some of the proportions don't look right to me - notably the height to length ratio of the water tower base. Could be my eyes but....

The Modeller's Backtrack article has Shed plans too... not sure how they compare..

I originally was supplied by a set of plans of the Engine shed by a British Rail Archive / Plans service at Euston I think, so I presume they must be held at the National Railway Museum now... Looking at the NRM website, it looks like you have to visit in person to find anything....

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Jerry of Highbury renown (Queensquare on here) had some buildings for Wadebridge on display at the 2mm AGM. You could ask him where he got the plans from.

Don

I built them for my good friend John Greenwood's Wadebridge layout. The drawings are those in the very useful Backtrack article already mentioned in this thread.

post-1074-0-41630300-1319271198_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-74984400-1319271177_thumb.jpg

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Here's one for you Wadebridge chappies.....anyone ever seen an image of the 'Haig in every home' Whisky advert that was on the water tower for some years? I'm looking for the early 1960s poster, something that can be printed out and used on a building. I've seen it in the background of photos but the detail / wording is generally lost and for some strange reason there a loco parked in front! I've got the software to get rid of perspective issues in photos just not a decent starting point. (Yes I've done a google images search but none of the results I found matches the Wadebridge poster - was it a special?)

Any pointers?

• RMweb Premium

Sadly not - that's a long thin board with just the words "Haig in every home". Nice try though.

(Pity I can't post an extract of one of the photos of Wadebridge shed on here)

Yeah, all of sudden Flickr showed me the image, as you say not a lot of use. A Google image search for 'Haig in every home' does produce some possible candidates though:-

http://www.google.co...iw=1280&bih=581

Here's one for you Wadebridge chappies.....anyone ever seen an image of the 'Haig in every home' Whisky advert that was on the water tower for some years? I'm looking for the early 1960s poster, something that can be printed out and used on a building. I've seen it in the background of photos but the detail / wording is generally lost and for some strange reason there a loco parked in front! I've got the software to get rid of perspective issues in photos just not a decent starting point. (Yes I've done a google images search but none of the results I found matches the Wadebridge poster - was it a special?)

Any pointers?

If you have access to a copy of the DVD " By Southern to the Far West" Volume 2, there are a couple of moments where you can get squarish-on "freezeframes" of the poster.

The quality of the film is sufficiently good to confirm that the wording is the "usual" joint catchphrases "Haig in every Home - Don't be vague Ask for Haig" in what looks like four different font sizes.

In this instance the very bottom bit is obscured by a Pannier and the "Wadebridge" station sign as is the custom.

All useless for "working" up a copy, of course, although I think there is somewhere on the net a 1959 poster with the same catchphrases and varying font sizes, but going across the page rather than down, as it were, and which also includes the standard and dimpled bottles in the bottom left hand corner. I just need to remenber where I saw it.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived