trisonic

I think our friend Jack Shortliner will like this edition - if only to critique the 14 pages of harbor railroads!

The main layout is New York Harbor in a spare room!!!!!! Based on Pennsy operations at Harsimus Cove, Jersey City and Kearny Meadows. I don't particularly like the overall design but the details are very good. By Joe Kaspar.

Separate article on Rail-Marine Operations. Incl. Vessels, detailing pier floats etc., etc.

More on the Utah Belt layout.

Very good article on handlaying/handmaking N "scale" turnouts in great detail but I haven't had a chance to do more than peruse.

Horst and Markus Meier write on modelling a "Rusty Auto Junkyard".

Pelle Seeborg on detailing a HO BLMA Yard Office

More on the Beer Line.

Reviews: Bowser Alco C-630 with sound (twin speakers).

Kato N E8 - Fitting sound.

BLMA 64 foot Reefer HO

Cab 06 for NCE DCC.

It looks quite a good read overall - which I will now do.....

Best, Pete.

I've noticed a slight change in emphasis from predominantly RTR recently to more on construction. Perhaps Kalmbach have realised that not everyone has a fortune to spend, and some may prefer to construct their own rather than buying expensive kits. Also, with hobby shops going down the drain, there aren't so many outlets for kits and RTR.

Dennis

It is indeed, my copy dropped through the letter box yesterday morning, but ive not had time to have a proper look yet.....Can we assume that Mr M is going N scale for his next project?

The rusty cars look rather good, must read that article in a bit more depth asap

N scale is in the rear view mirror for me. I was inspired by a forum post by a young student which like all of us have been at some point in the past, was short on funds and long on free time. They edited out my main point which was that being young and broke is the perfect time to learn the skill of making your own turnouts. As you get older it's all too easy to buy yourself out of problems. The other motivator was a recent N scale project I did for work. I was in utter shock at the abysmal quality of many N scale commercially made turnouts. With some of the manufacturers they are almost unusable. There is a learning curve with the first several taking a good eight hours and still not looking too great. After that, the skill sort of hits you, and they go together pretty quickly.

Lance

• 2 weeks later...

Archived