Hornby International Scharfenberg Couplings

Red Fox

• RMweb Gold

Saw these advertised in Continental Modeller. Product code HC8040

Has anyone had any experience of using them with UK models? Might be of use for some multiple unit models.

Looks interesting! I have a few of the Jouef (Hornby) SNCF X7500 models and it would be good to tun them together as per the real thing that passes in front of my flat every day. They run in formations of up to three units.

As for using this sort of coupling on UK 00 models, you would have to install NEM pockets with lateral movement. Two of these couplings joined together effectively form a solid bar, as per the fixed connections between Bachmann EMUs.

• 1 month later...

Having read this thread I have bought a pack of these couplings. They are ingenious and work very well with the SNCF X75000 series DMUs made by Hornby-Jouef. They slot into the NEM pocket in place of the cosmetic ones fitted as default by the manufacturer and although not as detailed as the originals they are a neat approximation.

Unfortunately these couplings are not suitable for any UK OO DMUs as the NEM clips are too short. I have tried on my Hornby 153 and my Bachmann 150/1 and they foul the snowplough beneath the pocket and the unit chassis above. If you could find a NEM pocket extension they may fit but will look very silly. Mechanically the coupling needs to be on an extension arm (as per the SNCF X75000) so that the unit can go around curves.

Archived