North Yorkshire Moors Railway - Steam Gala Pictures

Rumblestripe

Called up yesterday and learnt something... there aren't any cash points on them there Moors. Yes, this idiot set off from home with no change in his pocket and no notes in his wallet. Oh it'll be OK, I'll just use a cash point when I get there...

So, this meant no parking in Grosmont or Goathland for moi!

What was I thinking?

Anyway it did mean I had to visit a couple of other locations so Beck Hole and Levisham. The guilt I feel is that I made no contribution to the railway at all during my visit! Still I got a few nice pictures in the unseasonal sunshine. I hope you enjoy.

6203463345_9d832a9e34_b.jpg

6203983906_ffc85fe4ea_b.jpg

6203987844_75a32fa311_b.jpg

6203478615_9ba3426539_b.jpg

A most strikingly lovely day and only spoilt by my own hare-brainedness!

Ah well!

For the future, there is a cash machine in the post office at Goathland.

Nice phots and I can just about see my arse in one of them! Those are definitely from the Saturday, because the Friday rapidly descended into farce with the last train arriving 2 1/2 hours late. Saturday was a cracking day, and the only minor disappointment today was the variable weather.

Nice photos.

I was there at the gala in May this year at Grosmont only. We were on our way to York from Durham via Whitby and so only had the afternoon at Grosmont. But it was fantastic coming from Australia where it is rare to see so many locos in 2.5hours, and Britrish as well. (I model LNER and BR for something different). We didn't have any more time because we had to be at our B&B at 5pm to book in before our hosts left for the evening.

My wife had the camera while I had the video recorder.

Mark in OZ

Heres Sir Nigel leaving Grosmont.

post-7319-0-31621000-1317640845_thumb.jpg

For the future, there is a cash machine in the post office at Goathland.

Nice phots and I can just about see my arse in one of them!

Are you the chap in the blue riding the brake van?

Nice job!

Oh and thanks for the tip. I did drive to Goathland AND looked at the Post Office hoping there would be a link machine in the wall outside, it never crossed my increasingly feeble grey matter that they would hide one inside. Damn them and their crazy Yorkshire ways!

Two nice shots of the "goods train" there 5944.

Are you the chap in the blue riding the brake van?

Nice job!

Damn them and their crazy Yorkshire ways!

The crazy Yorkshire ways are there for a reason. It stops the other infadels nicking the cash machines from off the outside walls.

webbo

• RMweb Gold

My amateurish snaps are now on t'internet. A bit of a shame that Bittern couldn't go, but she wouldn't fly up to Goathland like 92214 did or make as much noise as 44767 did on the Esk Valley line!

http://www.flickr.co...157627686018899

I wonder if anyone has ever tried modelling the condensation seen of 44767's tender?

post-6756-0-69705900-1317666571_thumb.jpg

post-6756-0-17172200-1317666639_thumb.jpg

Nice photographs! I was working near Egton on Saturday afternoon/evening doing a bridge inspection on behalf of Network Rail, and we could hear the locos storming up the bank between Grosmont and Goathland in the afternoon. By the time I drove over Grosmont crossing just before 8pm (en route for fish and chips at Sleights) it was all quiet.

Andy

The crazy Yorkshire ways are there for a reason. It stops the other infadels nicking the cash machines from off the outside walls.

webbo

It also wouldn't have looked great when they were filming Heartbeat if there was a cash machine in shot...

Mike

A couple more photographs, taken on September 30th - the first day of the Autumn Steam Gala. I'm not sure which train this was as the service timings seemed to have gone awry by this time (around 4.20 pm) but this kind of day and this kind of light, at the end of september, was too good to miss. The locomotive is one of the Stephenson valve geared Black 5's.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-59176300-1317712254.jpg

post-3150-0-92640600-1317712280.jpg

Archived