Britain's Lost Railways - The 20th C. Destruction of our Finest .....

Penlan

Britain's Lost Railways - The Twentyith Century Destruction of our Finest Railway Architecture.

Author - John Minnis, published by Aurum Press Ltd, 2011.

ISBN - 978 1 84513 450 1

Book size approx 210 x 300 mm, circa 200 pages with approx. 300 illustrations.

On Holiday, browsing transport book shelves and saw this one.

First of all looking at the title, I thought "here's another book of mainly post WW2, or even just 1960's onward photo's, poor quality, views seen through smog etc.,..".

Flicking through, I realised there were a great many pre-grouping photo's.

So, this is not a book of 'bomb' sites etc., it is mainly pre. WW2 photo's, a majority of them I think pre-grouping showing most aspects of Railway Architecture and Bridges etc.,

There's a chapter called 'Modern Staions', only 6 pages, 5 photo's - I liked that :stinker:

The paper is of high quality to show clearly the images from old whole/half plate negatives, plus a smattering of PC's etc.,. Inside the front cover is a double page spread of the GNR's Ferme Park Yard, circa 1920, smashing, a simllar print appears later in the book on one page.

Now although it covers the UK, and thus not specific to any Company or Region, I believe there is a great deal of interest to be seen and gained from the text and illustrations, but then I'm a pre-groupy.

It is easy to dismiss this as another 'Coffee Table' book, but at least have a look at it.

The copy I bought in Grasmere was £20, (RRP = £25), I saw it in Kendal too marked down to £20, so perhaps not long before 'The Works' and other remaindered outlets have it at around £10. Or currently on Ebay here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITAINS-LOST-RAILWAYS-TWENTIETH-CENTUR-H-BACK-/310347952774?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item48422df286#ht_2181wt_1139

• 3 months later...

I bought my copy via Amazon and I was quite saddened by the book, well not the book per se but because of what the book documents: the relentless and unthinking vandalism of the (mostly) 50s and 60s.

Having said that, there are a lot of high quality photos, with much to be gleaned from the photos (from atmosphere to details). It's written from an architectural perspective and thus successfully avoids the loco-centric emphasis provided by many other books purportedly dealing with non rolling stock matters.

My only complaint? It could have been a bigger book (a 4 part series with one book for each of the big four would be superb). Buy it if you come across it.

F

I have been browsing this book over the last few weeks.

It is not a book you can pick up and read from cover to cover.

The introduction is spread over several pages with pictures in between.

You are brought to a halt by views of the Euston Arch amongst other things.

The history of how the study of railway architecture fits into a wider context and the importance given to railway buildings at various times is very well covered.

He does have his views regarding good guys and bad guys

He opened my eyes to the way the north/south divide has influenced the survival of railway buildings.

A good book to have available to check on historical points.

I am sure many people will find a favourite shot.

For me it is the Great Hall at Euston. Nostalgia by the ton.

By it's nature it is not able to cover all areas in equal depth but it does include enough clues as to where to start looking if a particular building or company catches you eye.

One quote that any modeller could well keep in his mind. "a railway station is freuently more than the some of it's parts".

Bernard

Archived