Bachmann Class 37 with a pair of 23mm "mega bass" speakers

buggerlugs

I guess if your worried about issues with the magnetic fields interferring, how about just placing a small sheet of soft iron between the speakers and the motor, that will give isolation between them.

That's an idea, but finding a suitable piece only 40thou thick or so may pose a problem, space being at a premium ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

That's an idea, but finding a suitable piece only 40thou thick or so may pose a problem, space being at a premium ;-)

Is it possible you could use Shim Steel? I use shim steel at work and you can get it in all sizes down to less then 3thou thick. It's also easy to cut with tin snips or if really thin scissors.

• RMweb Premium

I am not sure that steel will have the same effect, soft iron is used as its propensity to shield magnetic fields, I would have thought steel sheet would just be attracted by the field and become magnetic too. Its been a very long time since my physics lessons so I could be wrong?

I have some soft iron shielding I found wrapped around some motors that came out of inkjet printers, so I will be flattening those and fitting that as a shield. I have searched the web high and low but have come up with a supplier for soft iron sheeting for shielding.

Hi

Nice machining of the housings. From the picture it looks like you have used acetal, was it nice to machine did you get a nice chip? If so I tried acetal and Nylon 66, 6 and cast nylon years ago. Results too much dampening especially from the nylon in my opinion. ABS on the other hand and I can give you no scientific reason seems to work far better along with PVC a close second.

Paul has given you sound advice but I would be looking to see if the housings are fully sealed and I mean fully sealed, think the most poisonous gas in the world is in there you cannot let it out.

I fabricate all my own housings now from carbon fibre epoxies kevlar etc and make them as stiff as possible. I get far more space behind the cone this way.

Try disconnecting 1 speaker see how it sounds if it improves you may have wired out of phase.

The motor will effect the speakers but????? to how much I dont know. I have mounted speakers with 0.5mm of the motor with no real ill effects.

I wouldn't give up you have done a great job and it will pay off in the end.

Best of luck.

Martin

Archived