Hornby Terrier - mystery acessories

Hello,

I recently bought a Hornby Terrier "Bodiam" off eBay. I'm very happy with the loco but confused about the accessories supplied with it.

It has a spare coupling (not needed as it has both couplings) a single traction tyre that looks too big for the loco wheels, four oblong plates that could be loco doors? and a plastic bracket. I'm not sure the accessory pack is the right one and could come from another loco.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Veronica.

post-485-0-12560600-1317692952.jpg

• 2 months later...

All terriers I have also had the alternative dome and safety valves.

However I am not sure what these where actually intended for.

The ex LSWR terriers had a drummond boiler with safety valves on the dome, so not for these.

I suspect that the originally model designer had some E1 photos amongst his information, these are visually similar to a Terrier (but bigger) and the Billington boilers later fitted to some had domes and safety valves very similar to those provided.

Also the tank fillers should be in the centre of the tanks, again an error probably occured from photographs. Later terrier boilers had the dome further forward, the model has the earlier (original) dome postion, the fillers are lined up relative to this in the postion they would be for the later dome.

Pete

• RMweb Premium

All terriers I have also had the alternative dome and safety valves.

However I am not sure what these where actually intended for.

The ex LSWR terriers had a drummond boiler with safety valves on the dome, so not for these.

I suspect that the originally model designer had some E1 photos amongst his information, these are visually similar to a Terrier (but bigger) and the Billington boilers later fitted to some had domes and safety valves very similar to those provided.

Also the tank fillers should be in the centre of the tanks, again an error probably occured from photographs. Later terrier boilers had the dome further forward, the model has the earlier (original) dome postion, the fillers are lined up relative to this in the postion they would be for the later dome.

Pete

Er, not so. The Dapol/Hornby model has the dome in A1X position, more or less, but the fillers were moved forward on the tanks in order to fit with the dome alignment on an A1. It makes the model suitable for neither, though repositioning the fillers wouldn't be that hard to do.

I thought the dome provided (which was also a part with the model when Dapol were producing them) was to cover a Drummond variant, but if not then it could be the SECR one as fitted to Waddon when it had a Wainwright boiler? Either way it always seemed odd to include it as to fit it would mean significant hacking around to get the moulded on one out of the way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The seperate dome seems ALMOST identical to the moulded one so with a foray of doing my own modelling and needed a loco for my future layout, i dug out my A1X and back dated it by removing the original dome and used the seperate one to the A1 position and its seems to look spot on.

Ignore my first post on safety valves, i meant Condensing pipes which are supplied seperately, NOT safety valves.

Archived