More Halwil Signal Box Progress

Well, life has been fairly bizarre as of late and my modelling has suffered accordingly. Nonetheless, some progress HAS been made on Olddudders' Halwil Signal Box.

First off, I completed the veranda and added the "pimple" at the back (the "pimple" being a loo on the prototype):

post-123-0-12803900-1318171236.jpg

It's not 100% accurate (the Veranda is 1 plank too short), but gives an acceptable impression.

Once the "pimple" and veranda had set hard, I started on the interior. I laid a 5thou "lino" floor, which I had painted before installation - this gave me a nice clean demarcation between wall and floor. Cupboards and lockers were painted flat earth - which passes (at least in my eyes) as wood much better than some of the the "wood" paints around.

post-123-0-95185600-1318171449.jpg

Other furniture was painted and installed as was the door to the loo (the "pimple") and an old fashioned sink built and installed. The sink must have see better days as it's a bit battered and a bit lopsided...

post-123-0-11241400-1318171586.jpg

This is the view through the windows:

post-123-0-04891000-1318171621.jpg

I hope that once I have installed the windows (a single pain of "glass" with window frames and support posts overlaid), the interior is still visible

Finally, the lever frame with an accurate placing of levers (Olddudders gave me some very clear instructions). The handles I have left bare whitemetal to mimic polished steel, but if Ian isn't happy with them, I can still fish out the frame and paint the lever handles "steel")

post-123-0-26608700-1318171874.jpg

Obviously there is much more to do: place the token machine in situ, add clock and noticeboard, build and add tables and chairs and add the cameo (although no idea what the cameo will be - what would be suitable for a signal box?)

As always, comments and critiques welcomed

F

• RMweb Gold

The client (I would say patient, but that might be interpreted as suggesting I'd like you to hurry up, which is absolutely not the case!) is really rather pleased, thankyou Doctor! Perfectly happy with the lever-tops like that. The eagle-eyed will notice no yellow levers - all the (4) distants were fixed. The linoleum is pretty much the colour I remember, and the furniture looks brill, too.

As for the cameo - given the relatively large amount of signalling kit in the box, why not have a signal lineman (maintenance technician) engaged in some superficial work on a piece of kit? I say superficial, because taking signalbox kit to pieces when trains are running is not to be done lightly! That said, I recall that before the new Rule Book came out in 1972, if there was work likely to disrupt the locking in a Southern 'box, then an additional competent signalman would be drafted in, a "locking man", to check that what the shift signalman was doing was not rendered unsafe by what might be happening in the locking room downstairs.

Only one token machine? Four single lines met at Halwill Junction....

Well spotted, Sir!. I do have 4 token machines painted and ready for lining, obviously my proof reading is abysmal and it should read "machines" and not "machine"

F

Archived