Colfin: on the Portpatrick line

Jamie

Yes, my thoughts are back on the Rhins this week, and I'm quite taken by how Colfin looks in the trackplan/1909 OS map extract in the Oakwood PP&W book.

Now, the question is - I've never seen a single photo of Colfin despite having most (all?) the PP&W specific books - can RMWeb point me towards any?

I'll be checking RCAHMS shortly, to see if there's any photos of the creamery available online. I suspect the site changed considerably after the above noted OS map was drawn, but this is at present only a suspicion.

I believe the site has been built-over these days, though I've never been for a look myself.

Guest stuartp

Now you mention it, apart from the post-closure pic of the concrete creamery that 'Chard found on Railscot, I can't think of a single published photo either. But then photos of the Portpatrick 'branch' generally are few and far between compared to the rest of the system, a symptom of early closure no doubt.

I'll have a look though.

Guest stuartp

Not necessarliy, I once tended to regard anything west of Challoch as a secondary interest, so it's possible there are pics in publications I wouldn't have bought because it was 'only' the Portpatrick branch. Weird I know.

Thanks Chard. That very view in the photo could look grand as part of a backscene. Instant setting.

Surprisingly, there's a shot of a train (captioned as being) at Colfin on Flickr. I'll link to it later.

- Link added: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dumgallib/5987183994/

Interesting in itself as it appears to show a cleared signal behind the train for traffic in the opposite direction. Still not convinced the location is correct.

Archived