Kyle Line coaching stock, winter season 1970, rtr availability

Dr Gerbil-Fritters

There is a rather nice photo of Kyle on page 94 of the Bradford & Barton book 'BR Diesels in the Highlands'. I've loved this photo since I got the book as a lad waaaay back in the 70s.

It occurred to me that I could replicate this train with rtr stock and have it on my shelf, just to gaze at you understand, I am not on the slippery slope to a Scottish BLT.... :angel:

Can anyone say for sure if the train is, as I think, (Heljan) class 26 D5343, ? BR CCT, ? ex Southern CCT, Bachmann MK1 CK, Bachmann Mk1 BSK, Bachmann Mk1 SK...

I think the CCTs are available, but for the life of me I can't recall from whom.

It's a lovely Norman E Preedy shot, but I think copyright precludes its being shown here, sadly.

If I do put this train together, it's taking me right back to my roots - I started out many years ago with a Minitrix 27 and two coaches which formed my very first proper layout in >ahem< 1975...

I have the above book and can double-check. But from memory your 26 is Heljan, BR CCT Lima now Hornby (one of Lima's better efforts), SR PMV/CCT - Wrenn/ Dapol/ Parkside-Dundas, and the MkIs as you suggest. Head-end sundries traffic always makes for a nice Class 2 consist: do it - you know it makes sense! :jester:

They are much more likely to be opens than corridors. Corridors were not unheard of but opens were the norms.

Compos or firsts were also thin on the ground; i do not have timetables to check but I suspect it was only one train each way that had first class accomodation.

Then you need to get yourself a class 24/1 or several (pretty easy modifications from the Bachmann 24/0) and lots of BR standard vans to go with it. Then you are away as this rather fab picture taken by Andy Y proves!

post-7769-0-34600000-1318953647_thumb.jpg

Archived