Penarth Station 1930

yulithebrave1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, although I dont remember Penarth in the 1930's, I maybe able to help what do you need to know.

For a track plan you need to get hold of the RA Cooke book Section 40 something.

Steve J

On page 20 of the Taff Vale Lines to Penarth (Oakwood Press) there is a reproduction of a 1904 25" OS Map showing Penarth station and the immediate surroundings.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Regards

Richard

The Cooke book of signal box diagrams in question is 44B, published by Lightmoor Press, 120 Farmer's Close, Witney, Oxfordshire, OX28 1NR. These books are in the process of being reprinted, so I'm not sure if the relevant one is available yet.

Barring the platforms, there's not a lot left of the original station- I was there on Friday last week.

• RMweb Gold

The Cooke book of signal box diagrams in question is 44B, published by Lightmoor Press, 120 Farmer's Close, Witney, Oxfordshire, OX28 1NR. These books are in the process of being reprinted, so I'm not sure if the relevant one is available yet.

Barring the platforms, there's not a lot left of the original station- I was there on Friday last week.

Volume 44B is out of print and I suspect unlikely to reappear for a long time judging by my conversation with Lightmoor Press folk at Warley. It seems that none of the old editions are reprinted until Tony Cooke has amended and updated them and as he is currently devoting his time to a mammoth work on private sidings in South Wales (currently up to 12,000 entries I understand!) the track layout books are definitely on the back burner and will reappear in the lastest format (which is excellent) at a very slow rate.

So the best bet to find it is either Ebay or elsewhere on the 'net or a second-hand book dealer, which might be pricey of course :( .

Hi, although I dont remember Penarth in the 1930's, I maybe able to help what do you need to know.

For a track plan you need to get hold of the RA Cooke book Section 40 something.

Steve J

Hi Steve got the track plan but am having trouble with actual station buildings in the pics i have the awning obscures most of the platform buildings.

Knowing what colour the signal box was (stone 1/?? prob)and water tower,colour of foot bridge and canopy,not many(none) colour snaps of station.I want it to be as acurate as physically possible.Cheers Ell

Hi Steve got the track plan but am having trouble with actual station buildings in the pics i have the awning obscures most of the platform buildings.

Knowing what colour the signal box was (stone 1/?? prob)and water tower,colour of foot bridge and canopy,not many(none) colour snaps of station.I want it to be as acurate as physically possible.Cheers Ell

One interesting building on the opposite platform to the main building (the side of the Railway Pub) up against the road bridge was the gents toilets which was hexagonal shaped. Im in work at the moment so I cant check for any pictures I may have at home.

Steve

Hi, I don't know if you're aware of the book entitled "Forgotten Railways: South Wales" - I think it's vol 8 of the series?

There are some good photos of the branch in that book, and from memory also some in the book "Taff Vale Miscelany". Also, there are one or 2 pics in the "Past & Present - South Wales" book too (those you can pick up pretty cheaply, as the "present" part is out of date!)

No plans though, I'm afraid - but I think a visit would give you an idea. There are some warehouse/industrial buildings behind the station, & I'm pretty sure they were once rail-served?

Nice subject to model! :D

Good luck

Marc

Could I suggest you contact the Barry and Penarth MRC? Many many moons ago I was a member and we were building a scale model of the station at Penarth in 4mm. I cannot remember too much but I did remember building the excursion platform on the Cardiff side of the station, other side of the rail overbridge.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I am making an n gauge layout or should i say i'm going to make an N gauge layout of Penarth 1930 GWR period but am having difficulty in finding plans of station photos and general info about Penarth.

Is there any one out there who can help with any info or advice many thanks Ell

Could you define how much of the station you are looking at - from say Dingle Road to Alberta Place Halts( potentially including the turntable and carriage sidings), or more restricted? I can confirm that there were rail connections on the upside to business as well as the goods yard on the downside.

I personally have a reasonable number of photos of the down (beach) side but am woefully short of photos of the railside of the upside (station approach). The gents on the upside was also a rather unusually stand alone large building - and i never did understand the shape of the exterior of the downside gent s building!

Regards

Basil

Could you define how much of the station you are looking at - from say Dingle Road to Alberta Place Halts( potentially including the turntable and carriage sidings), or more restricted? I can confirm that there were rail connections on the upside to business as well as the goods yard on the downside.

I personally have a reasonable number of photos of the down (beach) side but am woefully short of photos of the railside of the upside (station approach). The gents on the upside was also a rather unusually stand alone large building - and i never did understand the shape of the exterior of the downside gent s building!

Regards

Basil

Thanks Basil would you be able to email me some of the snaps you have if able and if you think they would be apropriate.There were alot of commercail buildings on the right side looking towards lavenock along with some sidings serving these units.Anything you have that might of use i would be intebted to you for.

Cheers Elliot

• 2 months later...

Archived