Unusual wagon question - musical instruments?

Skinnylinny

Hi all,

I'm in the planning stages of a shunting plank, and (as a student sharing a flat) have plans for private owner wagons with all the flatmates' names on them. One flatmate has decided to be difficult, and not go with a nice simple coal wagon, but instead would like her name associated with a musical instrument manufacturer, specifically keyboard instruments. What sort of wagon (if any!) would have been used to transport these, in particular harpsichords (which are fairly delicate beasts). Would I be able to get away with a shock van of sorts, and if so, would any of these have been painted in PO liveries? I would imagine "Not to be hump or loose shunted" would feature fairly prominently on the wagons if they existed, given how expensive the load would be!

Unfortunately, I've not managed to find anything through the wonders on the internet about how this would be done, so I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas?

Many thanks,

James

Harpsichords had dropped out of vogue by the time railways appeared, being replaced by the pianoforte. The revival of the harpsichord didn't occur until the 1960s, by which time they would be delivered (normally to a particular concert) by car or van, accompanied by the person who would have to tune them. My neighbour, Andrew Garrett, was one of the pioneer builders of the revival, building his first instrument in his first-floor lodgings at Oxford, whilst still a student; when making a living from selling and hiring them, he travelled Europe-wide in either a van, or later, a Citröen DS estate.

Pianos, during their Victorian heyday, were manufactured country-wide, and so would normally be delivered by horse, later motor, van. If one was delivered by rail, then it would probably have travelled as passenger-rated traffic in a railway owned Covered Carriage Truck or Scenery Truck- such vehicles were often used to convey the sets for touring theatrical troupes, and almost certainly touring orchestras. They had sets of double doors in the side, as well as end-doors, and so could be unloaded in a suitable dock. The description 'Scenery Van' persisted into BR days:-

http://paulbartlett..../brferryscenery

I wonder what was intended to be carried to and from mainland Europe in these? The new 'Easy-Rider' piano, with Min in attendance, perhaps?

Pianos, during their Victorian heyday, were manufactured country-wide, and so would normally be delivered by horse, later motor, van. If one was delivered by rail, then it would probably have travelled as passenger-rated traffic in a railway owned Covered Carriage Truck or Scenery Truck-

Even before I saw this post, I was going to say that instruments like this would probably have travelled in NPCCS rather than normal goods vans.

Next to the west end of Llandeilo Junction down yard was the wonderfully-named 'British Piano Actions'- sadly, there is no evidence that it ever had a private siding.

Digressing slightly, a common feature of steam days were advertisments either on billboards fixed to the gable ends of houses, or painted directly on- one I remember from the stretch of line between Cockett and Landore was 'Duck Sons and Pinker- Pianos at Affordable Prices'

• RMweb Premium

Many grand and upright pianos had cast iron frames. The Mildmay Ironworks of Booth & Brookes, Burnham-on-Crouch produced such items in vast numbers and they were often transported in open wagons. There is a photograph of two different frames in 'Burnham-on-Crouch in old photographs' published in the 1980's. The factory at Burnham was right alongside the goods yard and almost all their products went by rail.

http://www.piano.chr....com/frame.html

Thanks to all, it looks like it might have to be another industry for her... With Pritchard being her surname, I've suggested the "Pritchard Patent Product Company" or "P-Co" for short...

That could work............

R.E Brians British piano actions,If I have the right of it, the `action` of a piano is the rack of hammers and associated gubbins that connect keys to strings

ATB

Nick

Archived