Will there be a Loksound V4 XL sound chip

Silverstreak

In view of the rapid inroduction of the Loksound V4 sound chips is it worth hanging on for the O gauge XL Version 4 or due to the fewer sales potential is this unlikely any time soon.

why not ask South West Digital the question.

cheers

Mike

Thanks guys ----- a reply from SWD suggests Easter 2012 at the earliest so will save my pennies until then

Plenty of time, then, to try a Zimo MX695. Smaller format so easir to fit. No awkward heat sink. 6A max continuous power, (10A max), 2A total function power, 14 normal Function Outputs, 4 servo outputs, variable low voltage ouput 1.5v to 5v, (great for LEDs) and a 10W amplifier. Special 'Stay Alive' circuit as standard and electronically braked fan drive for sync smoke.

Kind regards,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All,

I just finished translating the "Large Decoders" page on the ZIMO website, so you might want to take a look at this link. The manual is also available in English here. If you have limited space, ZIMO are planning a slimmer format of the "large" decoder, the MX696, which will be 55 x 29 x 18.5mm, instead of the 50 x 40 x 14 of the MX695 (with some reduced functionality). Basically, the MX696 will fit into the space used by the old (now out of production) MX690, and be easier to fit into small 0 scale locos or even the tender of a large 00 steam loco (with up to 10W audio power!). You might have problems finding room for speakers that can handle 10W audio, but the sound output is adjustable.

Regards

John Russell

Hi all,

Sorry I'm not too up on the DCC side, but as the v3.5 XL decoder has firmware would it be upgradeable to V4, or is it a case of needing a new decoder.

I doubt it. The reason I say this is that the V3.5 programmer software doesn't handle V4 projects but the V3.5 software already handles V3.5 XL projects as well as the standard V3.5 Loksound projects.

We do know that the V4 software will load the old V3.5 projects so i expect the new V4 XL will do the same but the protocols and structures are completely different and I believe that the processor is entirely different as well.

I don't expect that any XL V4 software will have anything different to this scenario although I am aware that the whole chip is different but I believe that this has more to do with the power handling.

There has been no firmware upgrade offered for the V3.5 to convert to V4.

Archived