Over-Lubed Sound equipped Class 20

Gene

Just received the new Dcc sound equipped Class 20 by Bachmann. I really didn't like the sound quality of the earlier ones but 2 club members just got the newest release and the sound and running qualities were so good that I just had to order one.

It arrived today...swimming in grease, very jerky stop/start running and needless to say the sound is badly affected. Any advice on what to use to get rid of all the grease? IPA?

DSC00051.jpg

DSC00050.jpg

DSC00052.jpg

DSC00047.jpg

To shut up the gears. As long as it is contained inside a sealed gearbox section, I would leave it there. I doubt it is having any affect on the jerky running mentioned. Most probably the model needs running in, the reliability of power collection should improve over the running in period.

To shut up the gears. As long as it is contained inside a sealed gearbox section, I would leave it there. I doubt it is having any affect on the jerky running mentioned. Most probably the model needs running in, the reliability of power collection should improve over the running in period.

Hollywood..it would be nice if that was the case but as 4th photo shows, which was taken with the loco straight out of the box and before I opened the gear-cases ...the grease was all over the outside of the trucks...thats why I then opened the trucks up. The wheel-backs were covered in the stuff and even the wheel-treads were mucked up with it and it was even on the under-frame of the body itself.

Sorry, but the 4th. photo does not show that clearly, nor did you say so. As I said "As long as it is contained inside a sealed gearbox section, I would leave it there."

If it has leaked out or is all over the trucks, then I would certainly clean it off. Sounds like a particularly bad assembly job. As such, I would return the locomotive to where you purchased it and ask for another. Mind you, being in Montreal that might be a little more difficult.

Hollywood...no need to be sorry..it was a fair comment :good_mini: . I've cleaned the grease as best as possible and its running much ether now. Yeah...returning it to the UK for replacement, with all the re-packing,paperwork and postage wasn't really in the cards.

Archived