Plausibly 'Cascaded'/Sold On Coaching Stock

dseagull

What with the 're-imagineered' shed layout plan, I will be in need of some small coaching stock that could have conceivably been sold on to a Private/Light Railway (in my case, a Hellingly-esq Hospital line).

Now, I could go down, what I suspect will be the easiest route of picking up a few Ratio 4-wheelers and painting them in 'faded lamppost green' (Or whatever Halfords have that looks suitably drab!) - but I thought it might be nicer to have something which actually ran on SR/Ex-SR (Still to decide between Pre-War or early BR) rails.

What would have been out of use on 'the big railway' by say, 1930 that could have conceivably been sold on to such a concern? - Even more pertinently - what is available that wouldn't involve Soldering (the hash I made of soldering a few simple feeds to track means that anything brass or whitemetal is highly likely to end up as an unusable lump by the time I've 'finished' with it?

I have had a look at a few sites, but been unable to come up with anything - am I missing some secret stash of kits?

Ta.

There are the perfectly genuine and plausible LBSCR four wheelers (some survived on the Isle of Wight into the 1930's) from Smallbrook Studios in resin, or you might pick up the same vehicles as old K's white metal kits that appear on ebay. Slightly older, and therefore less likely to have survived, would be the Craven LBSC coaches from 5&9 Models, also in white metal. You could play with the old Triang-Hornby clerestories or the Ratio Midland suburban coach kits to create reasonable 4 / 6 or 8 wheeled stock, if you prefer plastic. I think there is a thread somehere on RMweb regarding making the Hornby 4 wheelers into something more acceptable.

Thanks Kev, may well take you up on that - will see if Uckfield turns up anything interesting on the secondhand front too!

Nick: Thanks - I did see those, and may well be in the market for them, but wanted to see if there was anything else too that I hadn't found.

• 3 weeks later...

My suggestion would be to re-roof some later Tri-ang Hornby Clerestories with "flat" roofs and ventilators (plastic card?). Then re-paint. Possibly change the underframe in the middle to get rid of the gas cylinders. Replace with Battery Boxes?

I have been thinking along these lines....

Stu, did you find anything suitable at the Uckfield show? Are you interested in my excess 4 wheel coaches that need some renovation?

Kev

Thanks Kev, didn't find anything, but a Saturday morning trip to Holmes Hill gave an excuse (it's only a few minutes further down the road, love) for a trip to the Hobby Box, with the view of picking up ballast. Came out with the ballast - and a Ratio 4-Wheeler. Yes, it's GWR, but on a previous incarnation of RMWeb there was a lovely Southern layout with these sprayed green and letter for the SR, and they looked the part - so I've picked one up with a view to seeing how I feel once it's completed.

Regarding your coaches - as mentioned, I'll dig out the shoebox of N Gauge stuff and have a look what's there - maybe we can come to some kind of swap deal if there is more than I remember - Very much appreciate the offer in any case!

Archived