comparethewheelset.com - P4 Wheelset Suppliers

CWJ

Firstly, that isn't a real website (yes, I checked!).

Some of you may remember a topic I put together on the old RMWeb back in 2009, to compare the prices of 4mm scale, P4 standard wheelsets from the various suppliers. A link to this old topic is here: http://www.rmweb.co....hp?f=11&t=45917, and someone joked that it should be called comparethewheelset.com.

Well you may be disappointed to hear that I haven't set up such a website, nor have I invested in a relentless and cringeworthy advertising campaign featuring animated meerkats, but I have updated the figures. Through the miracle of technology, these are attached as an Microsoft Excel spreadsheet.

As before, I would be happy to update these data to reflect updates or suggestions which any of you may be kind enough to post on this thread. So please do!

Just a few notes:

• Sorry but this is just for P4 wheelsets only, I don't have the time or inclination to include EM ones, let alone 00!
  • Prices and sizes are simplified for the purpose of comparison, please check what you are ordering from the supplier's catalogue; don't rely on my information
  • I do not wish to imply that any one product is 'better' than any other - you are encouraged to make up your own mind
  • Please check the 'Notes' column on the spreadsheet for limitations

I hope this is interesting and helpful - please let me know your thoughts and I'll update the table :)

Cheers,

Will

P4 Wheelset Prices 17-10-2011.xls

Coach wheels

Alan Gibson 14.5mm, Kean Maygib 14.5mm, Exactoscale about 14.3mm, Black Beetle/Steam era 14.2mm

They represent 3' 7 1/2" wheels although the Exactoscale and Black Beetle ones are "worn". Most pre nationalisation coaches had this size of wheels. The BR mk1 went for 3'6 and ideally they need something like 13.9mm wheels if you wanted an accurate bogie but no one does those.

Just being a bit pedantic about it.

Do you know something I don't putting S4 Soc tbc in there?

Branchlines sold black beetle wheels as well as Kean Maygib last time I saw them at a show.

Thanks for the info Craig - I had noticed the slight differences between manufacturers, hence simplifying the sizes into basic categories such as '14mm disc'.

Do you know something I don't putting S4 Soc tbc in there?

No, not at all - I'm not a member of the Scalefour Society so I don't know if they can supply components to members (as the EM Gauge Society does). If S4 members are able to enlighten me I'd be happy to add any products to the list.

As for Branchlines, I'll try to update this once I can get my head around their 'blog', which seems an unorthodox way to display products on a website. I can't even open it at work; presumably my employer thinks I'm socially networking...

No, not at all - I'm not a member of the Scalefour Society so I don't know if they can supply components to members (as the EM Gauge Society does). If S4 members are able to enlighten me I'd be happy to add any products to the list.

As for Branchlines, I'll try to update this once I can get my head around their 'blog', which seems an unorthodox way to display products on a website. I can't even open it at work; presumably my employer thinks I'm socially networking...

S4 stores has some Alan Gibson wheels, £2.85 a pack.

I don't think the new Branchlines owners add anything new to the Wordpress blog though there may be an up to date pdf on there somewhere.

S4 stores has some Alan Gibson wheels, £2.85 a pack.

I don't think the new Branchlines owners add anything new to the Wordpress blog though there may be an up to date pdf on there somewhere.

Thanks again Craig - I've updated the spreadsheet to reflect the Scalefour stores' supply, and the fact that these are for members only. The Branchlines blog doesn't seem to have been updated since 2008, which is a shame as they must be losing out on a lot of business.

If anyone else has anything to add, please shout. All suggestions welcome!

Cheers,

Will

...The Branchlines blog doesn't seem to have been updated since 2008, which is a shame as they must be losing out on a lot of business...

AFAIK the Branchlines blog page is a left-over from the previous owner. Whether the new owners will eventually embrace modern technology, I've no idea, but they did respond to an email request for their lates pdf catalogues about a year ago.

Nick

• 2 months later...

Where's the groan button when you need it? :no: :scratchhead:

I can feel a *facepalm* coming on.....

It's ok chaps, I understand your frustration, but at least he didn't mention that bl**dy meerkat...

Archived