Olivias J94 sounds - Any Good?

RedgateModels

I heard a few of their sound chips in the shop a couple of years ago and all there small tank engines had the same sort of sounds on them - not sure if any of them were correct but at least one loco in all the classes must have had the right whistle.

Best thing to do would be take a trip to the shop - they have samples of all models on display sound fitted and are more than willing to let people try them out.

• RMweb Gold

The thought had occurred to me, I'm only 30 mins away from them. They could zap the chip whilst I wait hopefully ;) Only issue is I don't really know what a J94 sounds like in comparison say to a GWR Pannier etc etc. Still, if it sounds okay .....

The thought had occurred to me, I'm only 30 mins away from them. They could zap the chip whilst I wait hopefully ;) Only issue is I don't really know what a J94 sounds like in comparison say to a GWR Pannier etc etc. Still, if it sounds okay .....

I have plenty of recordings you're welcome to, though maybe ignorance is bliss in the case of sound chips? :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks 37255,

I'm particularly interested in a recording with a few typical whistles .....

I'll get a few clips online tomorrow and post links. As for whistles, I'm not sure there's really a 'typical' one for austerities - in terms of industrial-owned austerities, it really seems to depend upon the builder (initially) and then subsequent owners. I suppose the most common would probably be a Stanier type hooter, but if you're modelling a specific loco I could probably make an educated guess based on location and owner etc. The simple answer would be, I don't think there's any British loco whistle sound which would be completely wrong for a member of the class! I BELIEVE the LNER/BR J94s had Stanier type hooters, but they were a little before my time in BR service and seeing as none have run in preservation I couldn't say with any certainty...

Archived