Furtwangen Ost

Les1952

• 4 weeks later...

congrats on the impromptu award .

Thanks for that, it was well appreciated.

Two more invites- home show at Cotgrave April 12/13 then the NGS one-day show at Retford on May 31st.

All the very best

Les

• 2 weeks later...

A few detail pics.

Cruel enlargements.

post-13358-0-02395900-1396207267_thumb.jpg

I've added a cat to the scene of the porter and dog at the front.  Out at exhibition Jim asks punters, and not just children, if they can see the cat.  Cruel enlargement shows the platforn edge needs a little attention.

post-13358-0-88176800-1396207267_thumb.jpg

Now a couple of views from wheelchair-user level, which can't always be seen by the standing viewer.  The Backhaus has a passage through to the street behind, invisible to those of a taller disposition.  Cruel enlargement shows that I need to do a bit more to bed this building to the pavement.

post-13358-0-43786900-1396207363_thumb.jpg

Another wheelchair-user view, through the tram stop with the kissing couple and to the postman delivering a large parecel to the rear door of the Rathaus, and the delivery van behind.

Layout is back on the bench being prepared for Cotgrave in two weeks' time.  The only casualty from last time out seems to have been a small length of fence, now fixed.  Next job is to check the stock over.

All the very best

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Back from Cotgrave show.

Two enquiries for Furtwangen for 2014-2015, and one confirmed booking and three enquiries for Hawthorn Dene.

Two casualties- we knocked the end house off the layout with the proscenium getting it back in the car (now repaired) and

one of the setrack points in the fiddle yard fell apart- glued back together with superglue meaning we could run through but it reduced us to one long train plus railbuses for the last 3 hours of the show.  I'll need to get a replacement point in the next day or so.

Bed time....

Edited by Les1952

A couple more pics from Cotgrave.

I took a bunch of pictures to add to the ones from Sheffield and Mansfield to get some decent ones to send off to the N-gauge Journal when I get round to writing an article.  They are all too big to put up here, and a lot of them duplicate what I've posted already, but here are a couple more shots of details.

post-13358-0-16239800-1397589786_thumb.jpg

Looking at the top houses a 2CV has joined the row of parked cars- has someone got French visitors, or is it just one of the inhabitants of the flats bought a nice cheap bouncy car?  Meanwhile above it Frau Schwarz is hanging out her washing.  Three hikers can just be seen between the buildings coming to join their mates off-pic flaked out by the sunflowers.

post-13358-0-74002000-1397589787_thumb.jpg

Looking under the wires people can be seen inside the pedestrian arch, and there is a skip beyond.  In the foreground a street band have a jam session on the steps, perhaps depriving the hurdy-gurdy man of some business.

Both these views are taken from wheelchair user height.

All the very best

Les

• 4 weeks later...

News Flash

I've just sent back confirmation documents for two more shows.

Lincoln MRC at Lincoln Showground 28-29 Feb next year

and something called RMWeb LIVE.......

must get on with some work.

Les

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

More Rolling Stock

Back unscathed from the N-Gauge Society Symposium at Retford, a nice pleasant low-stress day.  One railbus and driving trailer added (pic to follow).  An eBay purchase that arrived two days after Retford is this-

post-13358-0-00165300-1401996068_thumb.jpg

The story is that SWEG are looking for a railcar to order, and have this one on hire from DB.  It has replaced the BEMO railcar which will now be sold.  Also sold is the SNCF diesel, a loco that hasn't actually been used since new.

All the very best

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

Railbus as promised

Actually I've just remembered the layout isn't entirely unscathed - I'd snapped a wire on the underside before I set off, so there was no red aspect on the signal at the tunnel end.  Solved by running wit the signals dark- a repair will be carried out in the next couple of days....

post-13358-0-83123200-1402133231_thumb.jpg

As promised the MAN railbus. Right type for the Bregtalbahn but a more modern livery- if the line had remained open after the seventies this combination would surely have been seen.  Needs a bit of roof weathering, however.....

All the best.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One more small addition.

With the layout off to Quorn on Thursday for the GCR bash, I thought I'd add a water crane that was attached to the lump of assorted junk I got at the NGS Symposium the other week.  Most of the junk (barrels, gantries etc) went into the colliery yard on Hawthorn Dene, together with the figures.  However there already is a water crane, so a second one wasn't needed.

post-13358-0-50500200-1402945747_thumb.jpg

I've also repaired the wire to the signal that was broken before the last outing so we should be able to run with full signalling.  

Much still to get on with

Les

Thinks- must turn the no smoking sign on the shed entrance the right way up.

Edited by Les1952

• 2 weeks later...

Great Central Event and since

An enjoyable three days, with only one or two problems-

• When they brought the electric supply to the layouts in the middle they started at the South end- and we were at the North Pole, so no testing until the morning of the show- and a wire had been dragged off again which it was too late to repair- no signals again
  • Loading the car to go gome the tower got bashed and is now in several bits awaiting repair.  Fortunately it came apart along the glue lines.

post-13358-0-60363400-1403705500_thumb.jpgpost-13358-0-18560500-1403705503_thumb.jpgpost-13358-0-36548000-1403705505_thumb.jpgpost-13358-0-21440100-1403705507_thumb.jpg

Views of the layout in situ and of things happening.  Geoff Warren is the operator in the picture.  The team consisted of myself, Ian Dodds and Geoff, with Chris Burch substituting for Geoff on Friday.  On Saturday and Sunday the Modemo trams did most of the running- the two Combinos had a troublesome weekend while the little Tomix car was kept as spare.  On the railway the diesels did the work, with the vintage train being a railcar.

post-13358-0-49942000-1403705510_thumb.jpg

the broken tower.  I've lifted it off the layout entirely while it is stuck back together, and am taking the opportunity to replace the tram track under it with the latest type.  Assuming the new parts come in plenty of time I'll also do the top curve before RMWeb Live, but I won't dismantle this until the track pieces arrive from Japan.

post-13358-0-05474500-1403705509_thumb.jpg

One thing that did arrive the day after the show finished was one of the new 3-section Tomytec cars.  A working chassis for this is also on its way from Japan.

Plenty to get on with - like rebuilding a tower....

All the very best

Les

• Like 1

The tower site

post-13358-0-75801300-1404309277_thumb.jpg

Things have mostly stalled while I'm waiting for track (and a tram chassis) to arrive from Japan.  Plenty of time yet.  I'm not going to lift any track until the replacement arrives, just in case it is coming on the slow boat......

All the very best

Les

Let chaos rule...

---or so it has seemed for most of this morning.

I had two packages arrive in the last couple of days, both from Plaza japan.  Monday's contained a Tomytec LRT-02 chassis to motorise the "two rooms and a bath" car.  Yesterday's contained a set of radius 103mm wide-base tram curves and a set of radius 140mm.   So, off to work dismantling the bottom end.

Now, this SHOULD have been easy, except for discovering a track pin (big Hornby type) immediately below the Kaufhaus store in the back corner.  So, the corner bridges and the steps had to come off.  Fortunately they came off in one piece with very little damage- they SHOULD go back fairly easily.

post-13358-0-12540200-1404911888_thumb.jpg

Looks like a bomb has hit it- reminds me of the peace studies bit I did with exchange students at Bertholdsbrunnen in Freiberg a few years ago,  I got them to stand on the pavement looking over towards the Dom and after they had said "it's nothing special" showed them a post-air raid pic from WW2, just a tram passing heaps of rubble.  Then after the usual inane comment about the Luftwaffe it was time to point out it was actually flattened by the RAF.  Pupils stunned into silence......

post-13358-0-97020000-1404911888_thumb.jpg

A little less bad now the new track is laid- and should be a sight easier to keep clean.  No problems with testing, so onwards and upwards.

Next it was time to move to the top end.   Not quite so difficult to dismantle, or so it seemed. the archway house came off fairly easily.   First problem- the groove in the balsa ground level was narrow track width, and had to be widened to take the wide tram track.

post-13358-0-23092500-1404911892_thumb.jpg

Chaos rules again.  Widened out to take thenew track- but why won't it go together?   Answer- taking it apart has damaged the top straight piece on the incline.  So out that has had to come also, but the end house now has a damaged roof- dyspraxia dictates that a stanley knife can fall out of my hands quite easily.  One more house to repair....

post-13358-0-43207900-1404911890_thumb.jpg

Piece of track removed- you can see the bit that has broken off - it is the tongue off the old curved segment glued firmly where the tongue of the NEW curved segment should fit.....   Next thing- do I have another piece that size?    NO.    Various panics, a cup of tea and a visit to Plaza Japan's website to see how much extra EMS postage costs over SAL.......   Then a brainwave- is there one on the back?   Not only is there one but there are two together making up for a piece doulbe the length.  Have I a spare piece double the length?  Yes.  Only problem is the power feed to the track is soldered to one of them.  Out with soldering iron and longer piece exchanged for two short ones.

post-13358-0-66338800-1404911893_thumb.jpg

Top curve relaid.  Now what can go wrong?    Answer, the new top corner is laid correctly and the old one used pieces of the same geometry but with a bit of a dog-leg on the bend.  The result was that the curve was wide to radius where it passed through the backscene.  The new curve of course is exactly ON the currect radius, so the trams now foul the inside of the hole where they pass through.  More work for Stan the knife.

However, testing with the four tram types now in the fleet shows that they all run slowly and smoothly round the top bend.   Now all I've got to do is to fail to get glue on the track while putting the scenery back together....

Just as well it will be a week before I can do very much more on Hawthorn Dene.....

Time for a quick nervous breakdown......

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

If Placido Domingo means Quiet Sunday, what's the Spanish for Busy Saturday?

No replies with the answer, please- I really don't care.....

Work is happening on both layouts.  On Hawthorn Dene I'm proving you can lay a piece flat and use a spraycan and STILL get run marks on the piece you're painting.   Furtwangen revolves round two new trams and putting buildings back.

At the bottom end I've got the roadway with the store and the pedestrian bridge back into place with no major casualties- one pushbike now leaning over at a drunken angle and a couple of figures to replace.  Hopefully the archway will go back tomorrow.   At the top end the arch house has gone back minus a downcomer pipe at the front- easy repair, and the end house is mostly repaired and back in place.  Tidying up and road filling still to do, and two hikers to glue back into place behind the white houses, together with one tree to re-site as it would now be growing out of a roadway.

post-13358-0-06212500-1405193467_thumb.jpg

Arch house in position, damage to edges of road still to make good.

post-13358-0-58146000-1405193468_thumb.jpg

The new "two rooms and a bath" car coming through the archway.

post-13358-0-22511700-1405193470_thumb.jpg

At last, an oldfer German tram makes its debut- the Duewag car runs all the way round, just like the previous one didn't.   The new end tracks seem to work better.

post-13358-0-69316700-1405193471_thumb.jpg

The two new trams meet at the tram stop.

That's all for now.  Off to confirm I've not won the lottery this week- buying a ticket might have marginally improved my chances, perhaps.........

Les

as ever, edited for typos...

Edited by Les1952

Gateway rebuilt

....almost but not quite as it was- we appear to have left two pieces of the roof top moulding in Quorn Station yard.   I've replaced the top one with some spare- showing exactly why I keep all the leftovers from building kits.  The other one is on the rear corner and isn't easy to see from the punter's viewpoint.  If I can find a cheapo faller building in a "sold as seen" box at a toyfair I'll replace, if not it will be laft.

post-13358-0-41500200-1405280638_thumb.jpg

I've not stuck it down yet.  I'll get a Modemo tram out tomorrow and make sure the gate is in exactly the right place before applying glue- there is only a millimetre clearance either side of the tram on the Modemo cars.  All other types have plenty of room to spare.

Another hot, sticky night ahead.

Almost cat feeding time.

Must go.

Les

Edited by Les1952

• 1 month later...

The Great Central Railway show wants Furtwangen Ost again next year.

Given that FO seems to tick more boxes with show organisers than Hawthorn Dene I'm thinking of making the 2014-2016 layout build another German one.......

Plenty of time as the framework for it will be made first.

Les

Edited by Les1952

More new rolling stock

Probably the last as the replacement layout when I start it will be digital (at least on the railway- the tramway will depend on the period it ends up as).  The new layout has the working title FZ (Furtwangen Zwei).  I'll need to save a few pennies for this- liking the idea of Hobbytrains class 181 electric with digital sound.

Back to reality.  If FZ is another present day layout then the last Arnold railcar and this new one can work on it as they both have 6-pin sockets.  Another DB car on hire, this time one of the rare single-unit high-floor types.

post-13358-0-18508700-1409165985_thumb.jpg

Yes, those are Arnold Prussian Celerestories in the background. These are a pair Trevor Webster bought to anglicise- I've a similar one on Hawthorn Dene that started off DR green.  He has very kindly passed them on to me and they are too good to anglicise.  They will be put to good use on the vintage train, probably replacing the Rheingold car and the DR corridoor coach.

post-13358-0-62786300-1409165983_thumb.jpg

Just visible is a replacement point indicator.  I noticed one missing when lining up the photos.  All I need is some matt black paint to finish this.  Some more railings to put back and a little work where house the roof got broken still to do.  When Hawthorn Dene comes back from Grantham I'll have three days to erect FO and soak test it before loading up for RMWeb Live.

Doesn't time fly...

All the very best

Les

How come I use preview and still have to edit after posting for tryping mitsokes?

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 2

FZ will be digital and Epoch IV- first loco sourced (a green Minitrix 139 electric).  I've also had Schadenfreude suggested as the name.  Does that clash with anyone else's layout?

Les

Edited by Les1952

• 3 weeks later...

Back from Coventry...

Some damage to the layout again- this time inflicted getting into the hall.  I snagged a wire getting the layout out of the car and snapped the control to the main tramway point at the foot of the hill.  Inspecting it showed that the wire had pulled sideways out of the motor built into the track a - probably a three day repair once a new point arrives from Japan.  I'll rebuild the tram station while the point is up.

Also failed one of the tramway section switches- but we got by.

Pics to follow.

Les

• RMweb Gold

Hi Les,

Thanks so much for the view from "round the back" today - and the chat.

So enjoyable and much appreciated.

I never came across this thread before but rest assured, I am now a follower.

Keep up the good work and apologies for not spotting the 'real' Rathaus today.

Kev.

• photo-thumb-13358.jpg?_r=0

• email_open.png user_add.png
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 883 posts
  • LocationNottinghamshire

Posted Today, 09:30 on RMlive thread

Jaz, on 15 Sept 2014 - 09:15, said:snapback.png

I loved it, I didn't get time to stop for long, but so evocative of foreign holidays, where the colours seem brighter and louder in your memories   :sungum: I copied this from my thread this morning where I am still uploading pictures from a great show.

Furtwangen Ost

Evocotive of those foreign holidays.

med_gallery_17883_3195_154030.jpgrmweb2900show105

med_gallery_17883_3195_130360.jpg

with our interest in trams this was unmissable

med_gallery_17883_3195_334119.jpg

Ah- caught in the act- just in the right hand of the top picture the hand of fate about to shove a tram out of the fiddle yard.  In the bottom pic I hadn't realised how much the new Tomytec "two rooms and a bath" car sags in the middle.  That one didn't run much (at all?) on Sunday- it was put on the railbus shelf by mistake rather than with the other trams and then forgotten about.....

Many thanks for the kind words- the lighting has to be bright and sunny, or at least sunny enough for the sunbathers on the bank roof......

All the very best

Les

Hi Les,

Thanks so much for the view from "round the back" today - and the chat.

So enjoyable and much appreciated.

I never came across this thread before but rest assured, I am now a follower.

Keep up the good work and apologies for not spotting the 'real' Rathaus today.

Kev.

Very many thanks for the kind words- and rather glad I didn't make a complete idiot of myself by failing to remember what SHMD stood for-....

All the very best

Les

Can't find a home-taken pic of the right municipal bus to show- will this Independent one do?

post-13358-0-29602600-1410808944_thumb.jpg

Dennis's of Dukinfield- taken in June 2003.

Edited by Les1952

A new batch of close-ups..

All these taken at RMWeb Live, some on Saturday, some on Sunday.   A disaster going in- I snagged a twin-core wire getting the layout out of the car and snapped it, but not before it had pulled the point motor half-out of the tramway loop point.

post-13358-0-82420200-1410809315_thumb.jpg

The failed point, marked with a Farish PW man.  Sixty quid spent overnight at Plaza Japan, and repairs will start when the new track parts arrive.

post-13358-0-47395300-1410809172_thumb.jpg

Quite a few people liked the brewery fence.  I can't remember what make it is (it may be stated several pages back in this thread).  I don't think it is N-brass but it may be.  Painted with Citadel wargamers' paint that I'd got to make a pair of plastic flintlock pistols look good enough for a Pirate King to wave about on stage, then areas wetted with PVA after fixing in place and scatter thrown at it.  The coloured flowery bits were thrown at the fence after odd tiny spots of fresh PVA had been dabbed on the green leafy surface with a cocktail stick.

post-13358-0-01290500-1410809181_thumb.jpg

The road mender and his pile of bits has the function of diverting the eye from a rip made the last time I replaced the main front point.  Mr Farish PW man was carefully lifted from this scene.

post-13358-0-40689700-1410809183_thumb.jpg

The real reason for it always being sunny in Furtwangen.  Having ripped off the local residents denizens of the bank get their kit off on the roof and sunbathe.

post-13358-0-52093700-1410809179_thumb.jpg

Down in the Marktplatz the residents get on with shopping.

post-13358-0-60450500-1410809174_thumb.jpg

The barrels at the back are where the residents of Furtwangen Ost buy their wine.  Take a jug and get it filled for a couple of Euros.   Good stuff- too good to bottle up and sell to those peasants in the UK who only like plonk with millions of food miles.......

post-13358-0-44646200-1410809176_thumb.jpg

At the other end of the layout the family having fun in the garden.  The dog is in the sandpit and the kids have broken the swing again.

post-13358-0-59863600-1410809177_thumb.jpg

And just to prove he exists, Mr Simon operating the layout.

There are more to inflict on you, but not tonight......

All the very best

Les

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'VE JUST REPLACED DOCTOR WHO

on the roof of the brewery, that is.   However, the new one will need a touch of black adding as there is too much white shirt showing.

post-13358-0-25340800-1412789400_thumb.jpgpost-13358-0-66349400-1412789402_thumb.jpg

The old one has gone in the spare people box to reappear on another layout somewhere- he isn't really missing a foot, that just shows he was only attached to the board by one leg.

post-13358-0-35541800-1412789404_thumb.jpg

All the very best

Les