A new life. 1930's GWR to 1980's 3rd rail.

steveb860

The other weekend I completed the collection of 5 baseboards that had been built by my late Father, a retired woodwork Teacher who had been a keen EM gauge modeller. His layout was to be based on the Ruabon area of North Wales. It features open plan boards 14 1/2 ft in length, hand built trackwork , fully wired and featuring fulgerex point motors.

post-512-0-33455200-1318953339_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately the delicate track hasn't survived the extremes of temperatures it endured in his loft and is badly damaged,certainly beyond my level of skill to repair, and as I am a BR blue era OO gauge modeller, the trackwork sadly has to go. My aim today was to see if I could assemble the boards and run a final farewell Engineers train over a section. The set consists of a kit built Dean Goods, a Macaw B and a cambrian kit built GWR crane. As it turned out there was too much damage, so the set returns to it's display case, possibly never to turn another wheel again .

post-512-0-28115500-1318953846_thumb.jpg

post-512-0-24967400-1318953965_thumb.jpg

post-512-0-33851400-1318954030_thumb.jpg

I have been swept up in the wave of the new 3rd rail releases, so this layout may possible become southern based with a cement / agregate loading facility for the work being carried out on the new orbital M25. I hope dad would have approved.

Progress will be slow as I don't have a great deal of modelling time,but I will try to post as anything is done.

It's nice to see your Dad's engineers rake having one final hurrah on the rails, even if it is stationary.

I think that your Dad will be happy to see the boards getting some use, although I expect there will be muttering and gentle shaking of head as he looks down about the choice of stock!

Just have to make sure there is the occasional GWR special to grace the line :senile: :good_mini:

Looking forward to seeing how this goes.

Matt

• RMweb Gold

The 1930's stuff looked good but Ruabon was GWR not CRs the GWR went down from Ruabon to meet the CRs at Dolgelley (old spelling) or Down to Oswestry to meet the CRs there.

But boards are boards its what you do on top I am sure that they will make a good base for you new ideas. Best wishes.

Don

Thanks for the correction Don,like I said, my interest is in Br blue. I know nothing of Pre 1970's. I just assumed from the large collection of Cambrian based books that I collected with the boards , and that much of his stock was Cambrian biased, that it was.

Archived