Ground signals and turnout levers

Hi,

I have reached the point at which I need to install both ground signals, where are they located in relation to the turnout that they protect- are they adjacent and connected to the tiebar? Which side of the line are they located?

I am also making dummy turnout levers from MSE for the goods yard - are there any online photos of the prototype in the early 60's?

Unfortunately the only railway in my area has no sidings, therefore not much in the way of prototypical guidance.

Many thanks for any help.

Tim

• RMweb Gold

You're in luck, well for facing move signals at least - here's a picture (albeit 21st century) that sort of answers both questions as it shows a transitional situation where the disc and detectors have been installed (not yet in use) and the points are being worked by a hand lever (which is even the right way round!). This is Western kit so not exactly what you have in mind but the principle is exactly the same - the signal wires normally need to go through a detector and that has to be opposite the switch toes so the disc has to stand a couple of cribs in rear of that. The disc would normally be on the left as viewed from its approach side but sometimes siting constraints meant it would be put on the other side and obviously it would be clear of any fouling points.

The one thing I'm not sure about is whether 'bent' (as per this pic) or straight handpoint levers would have been in use in the area you are modelling in the period you have in mind - I suspect they might have been straight but can't be at all sure on that.

post-6859-0-51032600-1318975398_thumb.jpg

As far as signals protecting trailing points are concerned they would normally be sited immediately in rear of the fouling point and where suitable clearance existed although i would imagine most of what you will need would in any case be at the facing end.

• RMweb Gold

Very many thanks,

It is destined for : http://timhalesblog....her-simple.html

it will be fully signalled as per the sketch but the actual position of the ground signals controlling access and egress to the goods yard was a bit of a puzzle.

Tim

Fairly simple job then Tim but could you clarify how much space there is between the successive point toes for the trailing connection into the yard and the trailing crossover please? That little query apart the rest is easy apart from the date which I'm assuming from other stuff you've written/shown is BR period - am I right on that? Once these points are confirmed it will be a simple matter to tell you where to put the 3 (or possibly 4) ground signals you need and what type would be most suitable for date.

Forgive my ignorance but would ground signals be used in a manual point lever situation? I speak from experience on a couple of preserved railways where all signals are controlled from a signal box and the manually operated points were literally just that and the driver can see the set of the points and has the shunter as well giving hand signals.

I guess that Des A is modelling the steam era like me so these experiences would be valid for modelling.

Dave,

The red dots are uncouplers.

Mike

Tim Maddocks has already provided a scheme for the ground signals- standard discs for the running line crossover and a yellow semaphore arm for the RH turnout at the entrance to goods yard. The two crossovers form a ladder here :

http://timhalesblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/trackplan-change.html

This might help, unfortunately the icons for inserting a picture are not visible on my computer.

Tim

• RMweb Gold

Forgive my ignorance but would ground signals be used in a manual point lever situation? I speak from experience on a couple of preserved railways where all signals are controlled from a signal box and the manually operated points were literally just that and the driver can see the set of the points and has the shunter as well giving hand signals.

I guess that Des A is modelling the steam era like me so these experiences would be valid for modelling.

The signalled routes are over points controlled by the signal box, hand levers either straight or swan necked in this case, control the yard points - 2 different things, in most cases it's the connection to the running line which is signalled and controlled by the box.

hth

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

The red dots are uncouplers.

Mike

Tim Maddocks has already provided a scheme for the ground signals- standard discs for the running line crossover and a yellow semaphore arm for the RH turnout at the entrance to goods yard. The two crossovers form a ladder here :

http://timhalesblog....lan-change.html

This might help, unfortunately the icons for inserting a picture are not visible on my computer.

Tim

Tim - if young Tim M has already given you a suitable plan I'm trusting him to be accurate (and if he isn't I'll duly put him right). Has he used 2 red discs or three? (don't worry about the yellow one as I'm sure he's got that right, well I think I'm sure :stinker: ).

Further+amended+plan.JPG

In the above diagram, the red dots beside the mainline crossover are the ground signals (two discs for the crossover) whilst the yellow dot is the shunting ground signals that controls egress of the goodsyard,

Tim

• RMweb Gold

In the above diagram, the red dots beside the mainline crossover are the ground signals (two discs for the crossover) whilst the yellow dot is the shunting ground signals that controls egress of the goodsyard,

Tim

Alas it's wrong (or more likely drawn incorrectly) then Des - where's the Cap'n hiding? Here's what it should look like assuming SR pattern ground signals -

post-6859-0-67711700-1319047533_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to drop off the thread a bit. But Mike if Tim M is 'young Tim' what the hell am I? Twinkle in Daddy's eye Nick! :lol:

Regards,

Nick

He's definitely 'young' to me Nick, but then you're even younger :senile: (and I'm not even all that old, I think :scratchhead: - but I knew Tim before he had any grey hairs and long before my beard turned white ) (And due apologies for wasting your space Des)

Archived