The Sidings Tamworth

This is a question for British modellers who model Canadian or North American railways.

Is "The Sidings Tamworth" still trading? I know they have moved from Tamworth Staffs. to Devon. Two e-mails have not been replied to and the 'phone just keeps ringing. Is the owner on holiday or have they ceased trading? I have only just started on a Canadian "caper" so know nothing about this company but their web site seems very very tempting.

ACM

Yes they are still trading. I ordered some Intermountain items from them a few weeks ago by phone and they arrived very quickly. When I ordered I spoke to the proprietor Jason, and he said he travels a lot for work, so there can sometimes be delays in processing orders. Nonetheless he's very helpful and friendly and keeps a good stock of Canadian models that you might have difficulty locating elsewhere in the UK. I think the best advice is keep trying, he'll get back to you eventually.

Thank you Clay, that is re-assuring. With no reply to e-mails I thought it may be me being inept with technology but when the "telling bone" got no answer I though it was curtains. Good to know they are still going and I hope they have what I am looking for. If they have I'll help keep them in business.

ACM

If anyone manages to get hold of him, could they ask if they have the Intermountain 45120 Canadian Wheat Board Cylindrical hoppers they have on their website. I too have sent a couple of emails and rung a couple of times. As far as my google skills allow, the Sidings seem to be the only people with a web presence that has them in the world!

Talltim

You could also try LSWR models

LSWR Models

10 Conyers Close-Walton-on-Thames

Surrey, KT 12 4NG

England

http://www.lswrmodels.co.uk/

Email address is: lswrpenguin@talktalk.net

and the phone number is 01932 246123

They deal with Intermountain and "The penguin" is very helpful. The alternative of course is to deal direct with Intermountain in America but by the time postage is paid you have doubled the cost of the item, which is why dealers like LSWRPenguin and Sidings tamworth are such valuable resources to have in the UK

Armchair

Tim, there were 3 runs of those hoppers. The last one was 4 years ago. Not surprising you are having problems finding them. I think I got the last couple Penguin had.

Have you considered the NARC versions from Pacific Western Rail Systems? http://www.pacific-western-rail.com/view_product.php?ProductID=132774

The Sidings might still have these in stock. I bought one of the Alberta Heritage Fund hoppers from him and the black CP one, which I was unable to locate anywhere else in the UK. The PWRS cylindrical hoppers look stunning, and a lot of effort has clearly gone into their research, but they seem a fair bit pricier than the Intermountain version.

Edited by Clay Country

I want the specific livery to reproduce a particular hopper, hence that Intermountain model. I had a look through the PWRS site but I didn't find that livery last time, I'll have another go as I might have missed it, it took me ages to realise I had to scroll down past the menu on the left to get to the product listings.

Edit: I've just searched on PWRS again, but they are all out of stock.

However as it has been confirmed that The Sidings are still alive I'll keep trying.

Edited by Talltim

Yes. I've been looking every couple of days for the past few months on ebay, as well as having saved searched with email alerts, but as soon as I don't look for a day or two one appears. Its a CNWX instead of a CPWX one, but as I want to renumber anyway thats no big deal. Thanks Jack

BTW Armchair Modeller, sorry, I appear to have hijacked your thread.

Edit. it appears that they only ship to the US :(

Edited by Talltim

I've tried asking, the seller has set their settings so you can't ask questions

Dear Tim,

Um, just becase the pre-fab "questions about shipping" says "no",

doesn't mean you can't actually ask the seller,

you just have to hit the small "did we answer your question? = NO, I want to ask the seller" radio button at the bottom,

and you get forwarded to the old-style "manually type in your question and send it" interface... ;-)

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

I've not tried for a little while to contact Jason at the sidings, but last time I did I had email from him using sales.sidings@btconnect.com would be worth trying this address.

Let us know if you get hold of him as I need a lot of Cannon bits.

hth

Dave

Edited by dave_long

i tried to order from them a while ago, sent one email got a reply from a lady saying she was on her own, but near a computer so to reply with what i wanted and she'd get back to me ASAP with regards to stock price and shipping, they never did, nor could i get hold of them on the phone. she did say jason was unwell so i had no idea if something had happened so didnt push it much more with emails, but phoned every 3 or so days for the next 2 weeks and got nowhere, bit of a shame because in the past they where really great and normaly had stuff that modeljuction or macs didnt.

Talltim:-

No hi-jack here. Just a discussion about suppliers which is pretty much what I started. Troubling information from Gandy.

As Intermountain and PWRS have been mentioned it may be worth saying that both companies appear to be retailers of other companies products as well as their own.

They will (ship) post stuff to the UK although postage rates for tracked post can be a bit steep. Both companies claim to consolodate orders/put despatch on hold so that postage charges can cover a number of products if they all get posted together.

The main point is however, we should be supporting UK suppliers/dealers

If anyone knows The Sidings is up and running again please post on the forum and any details of other UK based suppliers of US/Canadian stock.

Armchair

• 1 month later...

Talltim:-

No hi-jack here. Just a discussion about suppliers which is pretty much what I started. Troubling information from Gandy.

As Intermountain and PWRS have been mentioned it may be worth saying that both companies appear to be retailers of other companies products as well as their own.

They will (ship) post stuff to the UK although postage rates for tracked post can be a bit steep. Both companies claim to consolodate orders/put despatch on hold so that postage charges can cover a number of products if they all get posted together.

The main point is however, we should be supporting UK suppliers/dealers

If anyone knows The Sidings is up and running again please post on the forum and any details of other UK based suppliers of US/Canadian stock.

Armchair

As a customer of PWRS I can confirm that you can consolidate individual orders over period of time via an individual 'goodie box'. To get this facility you need to apply for an account via their website, a process that isn't too arduous.

I don't use them too often but they are handy for some of the more unusual ranges that even Model Junction carries

Speaking only as an ongoing satisfied customer

Dan Spalding

• 3 weeks later...

Just to let you know I had an email from Thomas who seems to be Jason's son. I placed a request for a few things at the start of November. Thomas has put the order together for me and was requesting my details. He said that his Dad is away with work. May be he's had a long term contract away from home. So hopefully it looks like they are still in business.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...