Seperate DCC control of points

packetlos

I am using a Dynamis (not pro) for my main train control and am very happy with it however I am now investigating point control using dcc.

I have a complex yard throat which needs several points thrown (conrad slow action motors) to access a defined number of routes, I wish to avoid building 2x complex diode matrix.

The CML DAC20 8 output decoder seems ideal to avoid the complex route diode matrix and still have push button control to set the route.

The problem is it looks like CV programming the route setting would be complicated without also purchasing a loconet interface such as the DigiTrax PR3 is that correct?

If I have a PR3 can I use it for future computer control using JRMI without having a DigiTrax command station? If so I guess I would have the bonus of CV setting with read back and sound load capability. If I got this correct or horribly wrong?

You'll get chapter and verse by asking CML about their products, but I think they can be used with a stand-alone LocoNet.

The PR3 cannot act as a Command Station, so you still need a command station to run your layout with JMRI.

The PR3 is capable of acting as a stand-alone programmer, but its not up to running locos on the track. As a stand-alone programmer its not as good as a Sprog, but it does work. It is supported in JMRI for read/write of locomotive CV values.

Digitrax sound is very much built "down to a price" (the owner of Digitrax has said as much) and, in my view, not worth the trouble. Better to spend more on decent sound from ESU and Zimo.

- Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Thank you for your thoughts, as I understand it what your saying is that if I went with computer control for points and signals at a later date the PR3 could report on how they are currently set but not send any commands?

Thanks,

Andrew

Hi Nigel,

Thank you for your thoughts, as I understand it what your saying is that if I went with computer control for points and signals at a later date the PR3 could report on how they are currently set but not send any commands?

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew,

The PR3, would be able to control the points and signals, but ONLY if all the point and signal decoders have LocoNet connections. It wouldn't be possible to run things like a NCE accessory decoder or a Lenz LS150.

As Nigel has suggested the CML products can be used on a Standalone LocoNet, I have done this for one or two people. Things only start to get a little bit more complex when you want to use the BDL168 block detection unit.

Regards

Kevin

Andrew,

as Kevin explained it. The PR3 is fine sending/receiving Loconet instructions, so if all your equipment is Loconet based, you are fine.

As for BDL168's, there are makers other than Digitrax who produce block detectors for Loconet !

It is also possible to setup JMRI to use multiple computer interfaces, so some devices might be on connection 1 (eg. PR3 LocoNet) and others on connection 2 (eg. Lenz system). JMRI can then send appropriate instructions to each connection.

- Nigel

Archived