Class 118 DMU Headcode Boxes

Does anyone know a source of 4mm scale headcode boxes for the Class 118 DMU? These are the distinctive curved-top version which differs from the Class 117 pattern. I could try to fashion them myself but wonder if an off-the-shelt cast part is already available to save me the job.

Thanks.

Geoff Endacott

• 6 months later...

Hi Geoff,

Craftsman C148 Class 27 headcode boxes look right - both classes being products of BRCW.

I've just started detailing W51327 - I've got as far as preparing the HCB; the exterior of the box looks right, but the recess has corners of differing curvature.

Looking at photos the glass is not recessed so I'm going to try and stick some thin glazing material on the top. Not sure how to do the rubber beading yet.

Some vehicles ended up with rectangular welded panels covering the formerly glassed area including W51306/17/24/29. W51318 had the whole of the front of the HCB plated over up to the curved top. W51326 had a cover which protruded slightly, possibly fibreglass, with a bolt at each corner. All others had the glass painted black, with no dots.There obervations are from 1983-86, but no data for 51305/10/16/20/22/25/31.

W51312/27 had very obvious large dots in 1980 (all blue) which went when (?) it was repainted to blue grey. I presume this was when 51327 acquired marker lights.

I have searched RM web for info about Cl 118 marker lights. It's a bit mysterious, the post about marker lights states all later 118s were built with them. There is a photo in "Diesel Days Devon & Cornwall" of 51326 brand new with them, but 51327 without them in October 80, but they have been fitted by 83)

Paul

Archived