How do i open Hornby's horse box?

mattog

I'm fitting (non NEM) Kadee couplers to the new Hornby horse box and would like to know how to open it up. Anyone know where the lugs might be situated - I've found the pair at one end, but the rest aren't so obvious. It usually isn't necessary to disassemble stock to fit kadees but in this instance quite a bit of hacking of the coupling mounts is required and may require a new floor on which to bolt the Kadees.

• RMweb Premium

It's almost that easy!

I've just had mine apart as I wanted to fit decent lamp irons that you can hang a tail lamp on. There are four lugs moulded as part of the bottom of the sides and engage under the top angle of the solebars - sounds as thouigh you've found two of them, the other two are in equivalent positions at the other end of the body, but hidden from view by the steps at the groom's compartment end. I eased the body sides apart from the chassis, working from the middle outwards and then, as Mick says, the top pulls off the chassis.

In this state the fitting representing the pipe from the communication cord apparatus is quite vulnerable; not sure whether it's wire or a moulding, but in any case it's quite exposed.

While I had it apart I took the opportunity of painting the interior moulding, which makes it a bit more visible when reassembled.

Archived