Glossy Humbrol

For the last couple of years I have been weathering rtr wagons with washes and dry brushing using Humbrol enamels. I have used mat red and some mat yellow, along with Halfords mat black (it really is mat) as a basic wash with white spirit and have had what I consider to be good results – until now. The last wash, made up (in various amounts) of Red/Brown 100, Yellow 81, and black as needed, has dried with a definite gloss finish!

Maybe it’s the plastic (Dapol meat van), but I’ve tried the same wash on an old Hornby 21t wagon and that’s gone shiny too!

Has anyone else experienced this lately, or has the paint changed, any ideas welcome.

Les

• RMweb Premium

I've found that it's often better not to mix at all, but dig out the thicker pigment fron the bottom with a cocktail stick or scrap sprue, then mix with thinners. This reduces the risk of glossiness if the solvent part of the paint is tending that way.

• RMweb Premium

There might or might not be any connection but the last two pots of Humbrol Matt Black I purchased - probably produced since the Hornby takeover - have come up with a glossier finish that I would like. Not full gloss, more like a sheen, but neither are they flat matt as were all previous batches.

I haven't found a satisfactory workaround yet. Matt Cote doesn't seem to take it down any.

Archived