Farish Black 5

westcoaster

Could someone clarify whether there are 2 versions of the farish Black 5. On their website the illustrations show 45110 as having the original boiler, whereas 45216 has the later version with separate top feed. I seem to remember a post on here that said only the earlier version had been produced and I'm wondering if they have used a picture of an "00" model of 45216.

The images on Farish's site are both N gauge - sometimes Bachmann would use a photoshopped OO model to highlight models being developed but in this case they are definitely N gauge - 1) because you can tell from chassis it is N gauge - smaller wheels, less detail and 2) Bachmann don't have an OO Black 5.

Could someone clarify whether there are 2 versions of the farish Black 5. On their website the illustrations show 45110 as having the original boiler, whereas 45216 has the later version with separate top feed. I seem to remember a post on here that said only the earlier version had been produced and I'm wondering if they have used a picture of an "00" model of 45216.

Yes, there are two versions of the new Farish Black Five, one with domeless boiler and different length firebox (I.e. they have tooled for long and short firebox variants - cannot recall which is which) and the other the domed boiler and seperate top-feed..

I have all 3 BR variants of and from memory Late Crest 45110 and special edition "Glasgow Highlander" have domeless boilers and Early Crest 45216 has the domed boiler.

Regards

Roy

• 3 months later...

Typically, (since every 'N' gauge loco I buy seems to have a fault!) I have purchased 45110 in late crest (meaning to renumber to 45305, which I work with on the main line) without thinking about the top feed. I should have re-crested a 45216!

Just a thought before I give Hattons a shout... would anyone like to swap a 45216 for 45110, or just swap the locos to give you 45110 with the early crest? Gotta be worth an ask!

• 1 year later...
There are two versions of the new Farish Black Five, one with domeless boiler and different length firebox (I.e. they have tooled for long and short firebox variants - cannot recall which is which) and the other the domed boiler and seperate top-feed..

Just to blow the dust off an old topic...

Have Farish done the newly-tooled Black Five with a long firebox? All the releases I can find on t'internet of the Blue Ribband model fall in the short firebox range (45000-224 if I understand correctly), whereas the long firebox models are all the old Poole Farish model?

Cheers,

Pix

Just to blow the dust off an old topic... Have Farish done the newly-tooled Black Five with a long firebox? All the releases I can find on t'internet of the Blue Ribband model fall in the short firebox range (45000-224 if I understand correctly), whereas the long firebox models are all the old Poole Farish model? Cheers, Pix

It is my understanding that all the new Farish Black 5s so far are the short firebox version. The domes and top feeds may (and do) differ in position but still be on the same firebox length.

Chris

You are correct that 5000-5224 were built with shorter fireboxes and 'domeless' (more accurately small combined dome and topfeed) boilers, however around 60 of those were later fitted with domed, long firebox boilers...

Farish have modelled one of those so modified, 45216 in its later long firebox form (BR early crest) but I don't think they have yet done one built from new with the longer firebox...

You are correct that 5000-5224 were built with shorter fireboxes and 'domeless' (more accurately small combined dome and topfeed) boilers, however around 60 of those were later fitted with domed, long firebox boilers...

Farish have modelled one of those so modified, 45216 in its later long firebox form (BR early crest) but I don't think they have yet done one built from new with the longer firebox...

Well, I have measured my 45216 and it does indeed have a long firebox boiler. However, according to "LMS Locomotive Profiles No 5" this would not be correct for (4)5216, which had a domed boiler but with vertical throatplate (the correct term for what modellers like to call short firebox) between 1951-55 and 1964 onwards, the rest of the time carrying the normal domeless boiler with vertical throatplate. So always a short firebox loco, sometimes with dome, sometimes not.

The same source says only 37 at maximum of the early series ever carried a sloping throatplate (i.e. long firebox) boiler, of which 5020 (the LMS Farish model?) was one.

They could be wrong of course.

Archived