Strange sighting

Mr Meaners

Hi

Not sure if I'm dreaming but I'm sure that on the A41 going north from Bicester to Aylesbury, just next to the bridge from the old Grendon Underwood Jn to Ashendon Jn line, I saw a 73 and a Southern EMU on the embankment!

Am I going mad or is this really there?

And if so, why?

Thanks!

I've heard in the past Underground trains have been seen whizzing through Aylesbury off to be refurbished. Maybe this is something similar?

If only - bit of the line I'm talking about was pulled up years ago - this seems to be sitting on an old embankment where the track used to be!

Or I'm going off my trolley - one of the two!

actually apologies... Im wrong! There is track up to the bridge only on one side which spurs off from the mainline to Calvert, so this may expain you seeing it... although not sure why it was down there.... If you download google earth and zoom in you can clearly see the line is still in situ, but from the birmingham line to the other side of the bridge there is no track.

actually apologies... Im wrong! There is track up to the bridge only on one side which spurs off from the mainline to Calvert, so this may expain you seeing it... although not sure why it was down there.... If you download google earth and zoom in you can clearly see the line is still in situ, but from the birmingham line to the other side of the bridge there is no track.

Oh NO! Got that horribly wrong! Sorry!huh.gif huh.gif huh.gif

I got the rail line right, but the road number (and destination!!!) completely wrong. I meant to say the A4421 out of Bicester towards Buckingham!

The old rail bridge is just as you come out of Newton Purcell going towards the Tingewick bypass.

Me very bad.

Anyway - it's still there (and I have got the location right this time!)

dont worry least I found something interesting lol I didn't know the line to the 2 junctions were still there so I found something out lol.

Just google earthed the location.... there is no track up there.... so unless its a display thing or what... i can't see how its there. probably on the site of Finmere station...

anyway i took an over head screen shot... I don't know if its agains copyrite rules on the forum, but Ill risk it for a buiscuit...

Finmere.jpg

Hi.

A 4-Cep unit, in early Stagecoach White/Blue/Orange/Red livery featured in the first episode, (Tues, last week) of the new BBC series 'Paradox' where it was filmed, stationary, on a rail over road bridge, whereupon the storyline required the bridge / train to be hit by an artic. tanker carrying propane gas?. Could this be the location ? I wonder.

Regards.

Edit :- On second thoughts, probably not, It was filmed, possibly months ago, the track is present and, if the train's still there, the paintwork will be a tad blistered. It couldn't have happened to nicer? livery. biggrin.gif

Here's a link to the prog. If you haven't got an hour to waste, the clips are 46mins./30secs. in, and 49mins. in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...adox_Episode_1/

A 4-Cep ? on the 20-30 ?, out of Manchester ???. Who are they tryin' to fool !, ??? . Me ??, with my reputation. ???.

Hi.

A 4-Cep unit, in early Stagecoach White/Blue/Orange/Red livery featured in the first episode, (Tues, last week) of the new BBC series 'Paradox' where it was filmed, stationary, on a rail over road bridge, whereupon the storyline required the bridge / train to be hit by an artic. tanker carrying propane gas?. Could this be the location ? I wonder.

Regards.

That was the propane carried in the insulated tanker with bitumen HAZCHEM warnings, wasn't it?

That was the propane carried in the insulated tanker with bitumen HAZCHEM warnings, wasn't it?

Hi Fat Controller.

I've added a link to the prog/clips to my post, above.

Yup, surely a pressurised tank would not have been so flimsy.

Regards.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I recall seeing something like an EPB (or CL.501) there earlier this year, while on the Stagecoach X5 bus.

Which is how I saw them the other week - easily visible from the right hand side of a westbound service (the X5 btw carries passengers between Oxford and Cambridge while the powers that be dither endlessly about reinstating a railway :icon_rolleyes:).

The EPB is certainly painted in the blue and bilious green departmental livery and I believe the 73 is in NSE.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw these two on low loaders going down the M40 a few weeks back, explains where they were going.

Seeing as I live in Bicester I think I might have to take a look.

As for the Tiger tank, saw that on a low loader about 5 years ago. That really does make you stop and stare on your commute!

Karl

• 2 years later...

Archived