Lima LMS 42ft luggage van

I have a few old lima 42ft luggage vans in LMS livery but I want to run them on my new layout late 1950`s, I know Lima did these in blood and custard and lined maroon but could someone tell me if these ever had plain crimson or plain unlined maroon applied as it would mean a straight forward respray / renumber :rolleyes:

I would doubt that they would have received crimson and cream, as this was reserved for main-line passenger stock. I would think that they'd probably have gone from LMS crimson lake to BR crimson, then BR maroon and finally BR blue. In the latter two liveries, they carried quite a lot of lettering on the right-hand end of the body side, detailing dimensions, load etc.

Thanks for the reply. Would the ends be plain black for a BR crimson livery?

Yes. Maroon is a little more complicated (when works started spraying vehicles c. 1965, they tended to do the ends in the same colour - note that there is only a very small window before everything went blue), but Crimson, definitely with black ends.

Adam

Could always keep them in LMS livery but just heavily weather them. In the late 50s it was not uncommon to see Coaching stock and wagons in their previous owner's liveries as repainting locomotives was a priority. Even the mid 50s you could still see 'LMS' on the sides of locomotives.

Archived