Where to place a Dummy Point Motor

Afternoon all

I've got some Peco dummy point motor's ready to fit on to my layout but i'm not quite sure exactly where on the outside of the point they should go. I've seen some pictures where the motor slots between the sleepers and others where it rests on top. Is anyone able to help me with this or does anyone know of a reference point that would help?

Thanks in advance.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Convenience - note the prototype does not have pips on the top (so if you have cast ones with pips, remove them) - not sure if there is a standard if either side is available.

• RMweb Gold

Does it matter which side of the point the motor is placed? Or is it placed for convenience?

Ideally it should be on the cess side (i.e. the opposite side to the one in my pic above!) but all sorts of practical things, like the station platform in my pic, can mitigate against that. Also there seems to be a preference, where possible, to put the point machine on the same side as the straight stock rail ... however .. ;)

Also there seems to be a preference, where possible, to put the point machine on the same side as the straight stock rail ... however .. ;)

That's interesting. From a modelling perspective, that is my preference too - because I use Hornby's small, surface mounted point motors and set-track points and I found that some coaches (principally Bachmann's Mk1 Pullmans) could hit the point motor if placed on the side of the curved stock rail. I've not used dummy point motors so I do not know if they are as bulky as the Hornby motors but it may be something to watch for.

Archived