Burntisland Bauxite-Alumina traffic

GeoffW

Just a thought from the past and possibly a great idea for a layout?

A long time ago we lived in the Fife town of Burntisland which had two main railway features during the 1950s

The port was the unloading point for Bauxite the raw materiel from which Aluminium was eventually produced.

The Bauxite, as far as I remember, was then shipped in steel mineral wagons to the British Aluminium Company works where it was processed into Alumina. This white powder was then forwarded by rail, in hoppers, to Fort William where large quantities of electricity were available from Hydro electric plants to turn out the Aluminium metal.

I would like anyone who can add to this fairly vague idea to join in the thread.

A few more thoughts, I seem to remember being told that the bulk Bauxite trains took the short, couple of miles, journey from docks to factory wrong line working and the track was signalled to accomodate this manoever?

Interestingly Slaters used to produce a bulk Alumina hopper wagon in their O gauge kit range.

The plant yard was shunted by a couple of 0-4-0 tank locos one of which I believe is preserved.

Last thought, the works would be a mecca for weathering as everything was covered in red dust and sludge from the bauxite.

Please join in folks

Geoff

Some sources of information

http://www.ianmccracken.co.uk/BACo%20gallery/index.htm - superb

Burntisland - Fifes Railway Port by Peter Marshall ISBN 0 853361 578 0 - also superb

As well as pics and other layout related discussions on this very site, some more info here :

http://www.signalbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2782

The ingrained red palour caused by the bauxite ore is slowly but surely disappearing from the towns roads!

HTH

Bruce

• 3 months later...

The good old day`s of Burntisland, as a kid with my brother we were put on a train at Stirling and past our summer at Burntisland where my Grand folks lived. Grandfather was a Engineer at the Al can. Can remember well when the town was a hussle & bussle sadly now just a ghost of its past. The many ships that used to fill the harbour and those carrying thi iron ore all area was redi orange in colour and when the train finally stopped and ore was transported by road you had what we called the red road to the Al can. Also of great interest was the dock yard where ship building still took place, watched 3 ships getting launched at the time,there also for who can mind the town a small model railway ran between the red tunnel and yellow tunnel on links, fond memories from my child hood. cheers rab.

ALCAN.jpg

bURNTISLANDbINNHILL.jpg

As can be seen from A-1-A A1As photos the alumina traffic went on to both Fort Willaim and Ballachulish by Presflos in the 60s - Later on it went in Covhops, quite useful as Bachy are about to do the Covhop and already do the Presflo - although this will need rebranding as the photos ive seen from Ballachulish clearly show Alumina written on the sides instead of "cement"

Purchases are well on the cards for my new layout North Ballachulish where the principal traffic down the ficticious Kinlochleven branch will be alumina.

Archived