Greslington (N gauge layout)

Coldgunner

Well, while I wait for the paint to dry, I'll add another addendum to todays progress. I've sanded and painted the near end of the platform to help the surface appear a little more flush with the edging. I've laid the paint on quite thick and seems to be hiding the gaps a little better. The wonderful thing about the platform is I can paint it over and over and try things out.

One of the areas of the platform I have to fill is this:

7874043466_c398ac62e9_c.jpg

DSCF2066 by Coldgunner, on Flickr

Its far too small for a traditional station building, unless I chop a kit to allow it to sit on the slope. I'm still not decided on whether to put in a small newspaper stand with billboards around the plaform edges, or modify my (old moulding) farish Mk1 into a cafe. The latter would need laying of some rails along with the modification of a donor mk1. If I went with the small kiosk, I can't help thinking that something more could be done. I can't seem to find a good reference image of a stationary mk1 to work from, although I know they exist and are popular.

I'll get the chance to complete the wiring this week, as I've yet to wire all but one of the sidings. I'll be doing some shopping around too to find a suitable station building that can either go straight on or be somehow adapted. Still not 100% on the look I'm after, although I've gone for continental sheds, I think the station and platform should be British.

I've got the full digi-hat kit on standby, waiting for the DCX chip, so I can go ahead and convert the 3F. The kit makes it appear that very little modification will be needed to fit it.

While completing the track wiring I'm going to tackle the platform and yard lights. I'm connected via the SPROGII and the matching PSU, which brings up another issue... how do I power them. I'm contemplating using a battery box to avoid further power supplies.

Would be far easier, especially since I've got a free supply of batteries available to me.

Did some further work today, I've been wiring the additional roads to the sheds. My soldering skills ain't great, but inside the shed it doesn't matter. Had to chop out the central dividing sections within the shed, but again its hidden and doesn't matter.

A brief update. Firstly I've managed to successfully DCC fit the 3F, replaced the blown chip in 2750 and bought myself the correct power supply for the sprogII. Been an odd couple of weeks as I've been busy elsewhere.

8000499377_af8b887678_c.jpg

DSCF2504 by Coldgunner, on Flickr

You can just about spot the chip inside the cab, took a bit of tactical usage of tape to stop the wires shorting on the body. Big hand goes to DCC supplies not only for replacing my knackered chips, but for coming up with the digi-hat, it really did make it a lot easier to carry out the conversion. Something is applying pressure to the gears though, so I need to tidy up the wiring (runs great without the body on).

• 3 weeks later...

I guess a short update is in order. The big news being DP1 is back and firing at full capacity. Fitted the same EUN651 chip and the pull away performance is unreal. She is set at an acceleration rate of 15 with a matching brake speed. I may adjust to 25 and 15 respectively for some realism.

I've been concentrating a little bit more on the 1:1 aspect of railways recently and I've given Greslington a few runs, but not been able to develop it any further until some much needed funds are due in, which brings me onto my next point...

I've been out of work for around 15 months, all bar some on/off temp work. This has been the real crux in the development of Greslington, with funds being relatively scarce and the odd splurge of loco's, rolling stock and more recently, DCC equipment. This is about to change as I have been offered a full time position, with the possibility of another line of work coming into play. Soon I'll be able to divert some much needed funds into loco's and rolling stock, especially some continental units.

The wiring has held out well with just one dry joint breaking up. The Greslington project was never intended to be a evolving project with some initial definitive factors, which are revealed when reading the first pages of this thread. The double track went out the window as soon as code-55 track was used. As the design evolved on the PC screen, another initial feature was a passing loop, again due to size this had to go. I never intended to try any special effects, there is no water to speak of. One feature I am proud of is inventing my own method of creating roads.

Lighting has been a late, but critical development, with areas of the layout being retrofitted to include it. Rmweb is partially responsible for that change as I now believe that an average model can look fantastic given the correct lighting conditions. I've not got to the point of having all of my lights connected, the station lights being the only ones connected, tested and subsequently photographed in use.

The German/British mix is a bit of an accident, with my foray into n-gauge encouraged by the Vollmer 3-road engine shed. This was the first N gauge item I owned, as my parents bought it for me from Germany. I've since bought more of those fantastic kits, Vollmer really is top quality.

I can't help feeling that I have some serious explaining to do as to why this page isn't updated enough to remain in the first few pages of the layout topics.

DCC development has been interesting to say the least. With the modification and re-wiring of the well bed in track being the toughest part. I've made one DCC conversion failure, which has left me with a broken V2, which is running as a rolling chassis loco till I can get the parts and repair it, or find someone who will repair and DCC fit it (I've tried the usual sources, but either they've stopped or have a queue six months long :(). DCC has provided and wealth of operational interest, and my first hardwired loco, the 3F. The idea of pulling up an express train to move the banker onto the back and running them together is amazing.

I've got a shopping list for my next loco's:

Fleischmann BR-52

Dapol A3 Flying Scotsman, I am very impressed with Papyrus and want another.

Dapol A4, I think I may hang on until a valanced model is available

Farish Class 37

Dapol 14xx and Autocoach, ideal for a small layout.

I think the 14xx may be next, then I'm going to hold out for the BR-52 and some DB passenger stock.

A slightly bloglike update, but I hope this answers questions as to why the layout hasn't been updated.

If you want some more continental buildings I have 4 Faller kits in the roof I will sell you very cheap, PM me if you want pics.

On the subject of the V2 I think you need to take a more methodical approach, photograph it in its current state and record accurately the series of events that led to it failing, then post a thread in here with all the info on, someone will sort it. If you used the barmy mk1 Greslington PSU on it I suspect you fried the chip! De convert it and test it on DC as well, this could help, as well as a careful service, focused on motor contacts and pick ups first.

Ahh, the psu is long since replaced with the correct unit. The problem with the V2 is that I buggered up the wiring and damaged the motor cradle. Pickups appear ok and the front section is readily chopped out to allow room for the chip. That said I did briefly have it working, I accidently messed it up on re-assembly :(

The Black 5 I I think will be next. I will be able to get away with a larger chip in the hollow tender, and the digihat kit makes life so much more bearable when converting grafar units. Though being an older (early chinese I think) loco I'll need to study the chassis and the power route.

Hmm, not really an easy answer for the V2 then, look for another chassis or motor block maybe? I note from recent releases that both Farish and Dapol are adding plug in DCC to all their new models, about bloody time too! I have a couple of conversions to do this month, both Farish, not looking forward to either of them!

Tenders are not so bad, at least you can put the decoder in them, all those locos will run fine when chipped. The problem I have is the metal bodies, stopping shorts is a pain and mistakes cost lots!

ah, I forgot to mention that my Britania will be having a white metal body on it to make it into a Princess Coronation that somehow still has its streamlining in 1948 :)

• 2 months later...

Amongst my other projects, I've not forgotten about this! Been a few changes in my living circumstances and life somewhat took over this project! What with my O gauge work starting too, time is a luxury I don't have.

I made another attempt on the 3F conversion. I managed to get it wired, but when I put it together it wouldn't move, even though it moved as a chassis. I'm half tempted to convert it back to DC and buy myself a new socketed version (or chassis replacement?). 2750 is still the flagship of my small fleet, and currently my most reliable unit as Deltic still has running issues, which is grinding and inconsistent movement. Even though I've had it down to component parts I just can't figure it out. I will complete the wiring when the weather gets warmer as I need to take it out back to be able to get at the wiring.

Good to hear that the layout is still being progressed. Sorry to hear about the 3F conversion not working so well for you. I had similar woes with a locomotive that seemingly refused to be converted to DCC. In the end I sold the two locos of that type I had and purchased a socketed version. It is sad to say that some are not worth the bother if there are alternative available (especially when you can pick up a good second hand one for the cost of getting it professionally chipped!).

Got some new scenery items on their way to me, as well as a new soldering iron. There'll be modelling for Christmas this year!

I came across the bufferstop lights and thought they'd be a nice addition, alongside some new benches and a nissen hut. I will post photo's soon!

Archived