The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Pub Signs - Railway Themes

Rivercider

"The Railway", at the corner of Station Street and Station Road, and opposite the former station in Saffron Walden (and built in similar yellow brick), now sports a sign that looks to me like an SLM Mallett 0-4-4-0T.

http://g.co/maps/nhbqm

Should I give up waiting on Heljan for the W&M railbuses, and instead start looking for a suitable Swiss model?

Station Road, Mickleover, Derby, no longer has a station although the station buildings are now a private residence alongside a cycle path. Almost opposite the old station is the "Great Northern" pub. (no prizes for guessing why it is so called!)

A photo will be forthcoming next time I pass by.

... The Great Western taken 13/5/88, this looks to be a Britannia class ...

She'm got gert oval buffers, so she'm a Duchess.

... The Pride of Paddington taken 13/5/88 ...

Incomprehensible, he never had a Penny-Farthing type tricycle or whatever that weird device is supposed to be. If Paddington was proud of anything it would be Peru or Hunny.

post-7081-0-30947500-1320329164_thumb.jpg

The Great Western taken 13/5/88, this looks to be a Britannia class.

That's a Stanier Princess Coronation pacific not a Btitannia. The cab spectacle windows, the trailing truck side frames, the cover and valve tail rod covers under the smokebox are just some of the identifying details.

Arthur

Oops, hadn't seen page two, already spotted!

Here are a couple more, from Wiltshire this time.

post-7081-0-37945200-1320573528_thumb.jpg

The Great Western outside Swindon Railway station, taken 29/1/87.

I used to use the pub sometimes after work when at WR HQ at this time.

A more recent picture, taken on rail trip day out with my Dad.

post-7081-0-42673800-1320573962_thumb.jpg

The Railway Tavern, outside Salisbury station, taken 20/4/2010.

cheers

There's the Atmospheric Railway Inn at Starcross - image here

I must admit that though it's just down the road I haven't really looked at the sign recently to see if this is still current!

Hi Rich,

that reminds me I called in there one lunchtime in 2009, before a coast walk to Dawlish.

Perhaps it shpuld be retitled coast crawl, as I then called at the Galleon (Starcross), the Anchor (Cockwood) well known to railway photographers, and the Exeter Inn in Dawlish.

post-7081-0-23048400-1320580328_thumb.jpg

The Atmospheric was worth the visit, nice cider, but also some interesting memorabilia

and old photographs of Starcross and the railway. I have not visited since as its not open all day, shame.

Taken 19/9/2009.

post-7081-0-21295300-1320580522_thumb.jpg

The atmospheric pumping station at Starcross on the same day.

post-7081-0-97261000-1320580716_thumb.jpg

The Railway Inn Dawlish, taken 16/6/93.

Signs hanging between two structures are quite rare, most having removed for, or knocked down by,

passing traffic. This one was in a narrow pedestrianised lane.

cheers

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

In the area I used to live there was a plethora of 'Great Northern' and 'Midland' pubs in most towns & villages, occassionally there would be both were appropriate, my grandad also used to drink in the 'North Eastern' right opposite the station in Harrogate. Oddly I dont recall seeing any L&Y inspired pub names, which is a suprise as they had a big influence in the area too?

• RMweb Gold

A pub with a railway historical name - the Amalgamation in Strood, situated close to the Toomer Loops which connected the South Eastern route via Gravesend with the London, Chatham & Dover route via Swanley. The two companies spent much of the C19 bankrupting each other by competitive construction for key towns like Maidstone and Canterbury, each of which still enjoys their duplication with stations on two lines. In 1899 the companies decided to call a truce and set up a Joint Managing Committee, and I think the coat of arms of this new organisation is the pub-sign. The SE&CR was probably the poorest of the three principal constituents of the Southern Railway.

Archived