Thames Valley Model Rail Expo 2012 19th May 2012 Knowl Hill near Maidenhead Berkshire

Xerces Fobe2

Hi,

Just to let people know, Roads A-C won't be a fully finished layout, but will be displayed as a 'work in progress' exhibit, albeit 90% finished.

See you there on Saturday!

Simon

Will you be running an EFE replacement bus service Simon?

• RMweb Gold

Well it was a great little show and congrats to all involved for taking the plunge. The place seemed to be infested with RMweb members but it was a nice plus to meet some familiar faces and a new one in the person of Jamie with a small portion of the marvellous Lancaster Green Ayre - it's going to be quite some railway but even at this stage the constructional techniques are worth a good look.

Knowl Hill village hall is an awkward place to hold a show because of the limited parking and it was good to find that being carefully managed; the tea squad were doing a good job too, and at a reasonable price I thought. Nice mix of layouts in several different scales and all, I think, had something of interest - for me at any rate. And thanks Nidge for Modelllers Mate who got the moths out of my wallet for several items including some flux which apparently is made to a 'recipe' familiar to those of us who remember a once well known model shop in Reading - that made my day.

Edit typo

<em>Knowl Hill village hall is an awkward place to hold a show because of the limited parking

The very nice boy scout outside directed me straight into my spot as if it had been reserved for me :D

As I said before - a really pleasant little show, well worth the detour.

This had passed me by until I spotted a poster on the wall at Expo EM so made a slight detour on the way home for a quick visit.

Good little show, very friendly and some interesting stuff to see. Lancaster Green Eyre looks set to be an epic layout in years to come, a great effort so far which is showing much promise.

Maybe a touch high on the admission cost but then again I've paid similar for much bigger shows that I've not enjoyed as much, so maybe not.

Well done to those who organised it and 'hope you had a great day.

• RMweb Premium

Just got in from the show after a good run up the M1. A very enjoyable show and good to meet several RM Webers. Thanks for the invite Nigel. It's just a pity I can't upload the photos that I took as I can't find the right lerad to connect the camera.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

PS Stationmaster - sorry to have missed you. I was the guy in the grey jumper who was on the door on and off throughout the day. What do/did you look like?

I was the one with the white beard (not Father Christmas style but just as white!) and looking a bit heavy for my height (spent ages looking for the right form of words for that bit :O ) and accompanied by daughter - who just happens to be Station Cat on here.

The badge idea is quite a good one I think as we (well me at any rate) tend to speak to those we already know or can identify because they're attached to a layout and readily identifiable - as Jamie was. The show seemed to be quite heavily 'infested' by RMwebbers - only a small show I know but I reckon it must have had a high percentage of those present who are RMweb members, and all the better for it I say.

Incidentally I hope it was a financial success in covering its cost and that the two traders thought it was worth the effort of attending. Repeat effort next year Nidge?

• RMweb Premium

just an update on my previous reply which was a bit brief as I was tired. The show went well and I had some great conversations with a lot of people. One of the highlights for me was the gentleman who had his grandson with him. It turned out he was a retired Nine Elms driver who had been recalled to steam 20 years later when they had no steam qualified drivers and they needed someone for Union of South Africa. He then drove preserved steam on the main line till he retired. He made some very favourable comparisons between a Duchess and an A4 which gladdenned my heart as a red engine man. I let his grandson have a go driving the two bits of Green Ayre. he loved it. that's the sort of thing that usually only happens at small shows. Well done to the team that organised it.

Anyway I've found the lead and here are two photos. One of the bits of the layout up in the hall and the other showing why I bought a Volvo estate.

post-6824-0-66934500-1337527267.jpg

post-6824-0-07901500-1337527279.jpg

Jamie

Hi,

Well having had Sunday to relax abit and think over yesterday, I can now comment on the show, overall it was a very nice show, well organised and had a slight air of an RMweb members day. Well done to Nigel and his team for organising it. It was good to catch up with our good leader Mr York and have pleasant chats with him and other members of the forum (I'm sorry that I can not remember your names! :blush: )

I'm not comment of the running and antics of Loughborough Road, I'm going to let dad tell you about that! However I can comment on my layout, Roads A-C, as stated on Thursday, the layout was presented as 'work-in-progress', but unfortunatly, due to some fairly simple problems with the fiddle yard, which are easy to fix, but not with the tools I had, Roads A-C became a 'non work-in-progress' which meant that not a single train ran the length of the layout all day, if you did see a change in trains, it was only because I positioned them manually. It was a shame to be the only none-working layout in the show, but I couldn't really do anything about it, sorry!

This rather long period of inactivity (around 7 hours!) meant I had some time to look around the other exhibits, Lancaster Green Arye was very impressive and your etchings you had done Jamie were rather inspirational! I particually liked Oxford Road, the detailed interiors of the depot and stations were very nice! The rest of the layouts were all very nice as well! The catering was good as well, the rather large chocolate muffin I comsumed was very fine!

To the next one!

Simon

My apologies in the delaying in posting sooner - I had a major virus attack on my PC over this weekend!

A big thank you to all who came to the Show. Of all the Shows I have organised I enjoyed this one the most - great to see people talking about the many aspects of our hobby throughout the day. My aim was to make the Show a little different it was a gamble I took and I think it paid off.

The idea of badges for RMweb members that is a good idea for those who wish to identify themselves - maybe a download badge template if we do another Show in the future, The cast of entry has been raised again, we kept as low as we could however the factors there had to be considered . Attendance would not be as high as a large Show - insurance - travel costs and hotels to name a few, Most exhibitors traders and club members effectively subsidised the Show so without this good will the Show would have not being staged.-

Here a some photos from the Show

DSCN7552edt2.jpg

DSCN7553edt2.jpg

DSCN7557edt.jpg

DSCN7564edt.jpg

DSCN7570.jpg

DSCN7574.jpg

DSCN7578edt.jpg

Thanks to you all once again

Nigel.

Archived