Ex M&SWJR 2-4-0

• RMweb Premium

The other day I saw on old photo of an ex M&SWJR 2-4-0 which I believe were originally built by Dubs and Co. When the line was tranfered to the GWR the 2-4-0s were extensivley 'Westernised' but nonetheless remained an attractive loco. I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on the history of these locos and their eventual fate. I have posted in this forum because I am hoping that there may be a kit available that someone may be aware of?

There were 3 in the class which became GWR no's 1334-1336.After rebuilding, at least one, if not all 3 ,spent time on the Lambourn branch, based at Didcot shed.They all survived to BR days, the last going in 1954.As far as models go, Cotswold used to do a white metal kit for the rebuilt version, which was taken over by Nucast.Not sure if this is still available, Sherwood Models would be the place to look but if it is available it would be at a price that probably wouldn't befit 35 year old mouldings.It might be easier to kit bash one from a Dean Goods.

Jamie

I believe that Cotswold produced a kit in its Swindonised form in 4mm, long ago and that this later passed to Nu-Cast. What the current situation is with Nu-Cast, never mind this particular kit, is a matter which I recall being debated on this forum. A search should find it...

Adam

[Edited: cross-post with JamieB]

• RMweb Gold

The three locos were designed and built by Dubs & Co and delivered to theM&SWJtR in 1894 (builder's no.s 3165-67) becoming M&SW No.s 10-12. They became GWR No.s 1334-36 and in 1924 the GWR rebuilt them with Standard No.11 boilers and put them to work on the severely axleload restricted Lambourn branch where they saw out their working lives. 1334 & 1335 were withdrawn in September 1952 and 1336 in March 1954; in BR days 1334 was allocated to Didcot until one month before withdrawal while the other two were allocated to Reading and again were taken off the shed's books a month before withdrawal (and I would think it likely that those allocations were probably the same from 1924. Reputedly only 1335 ever carried a BR smokebox number plate and I can't, thus far, find any pics which suggest different and it also carried a smokebox shedplate.

They were the only ex M&SWJtR locos to be taken into BR ownership notwithstanding the fact that they had been some of the oldest locos on that Railway at the time of the Grouping.

Archived