Bachmann HO Thomas range - new Devious Diesel

dave flint

Thanks to the good folk at Trains On Time, I've come home to find Devious Diesel, or as the box says just plain "Diesel", has turned up.

After a little scream going forwards, it has loosened up after a few minutes running and seems to be a very smooth and great running model.

http://www.bachmannt...&productId=3771

Proper cranks and coupling rods like the real thing, and it ran at slow speed through the big plastic frog on the point on our Bachmann EZ Track test oval, hastily set up in the kitchen. Looks like the Hornby version will be heading for ebay.......

I've got the body off (remove four screws (two under the cab and two under the "battery boxes"), and there is lots of room for a decoder (and "stay alives" if required). Sorry no photo's as the phone is in works, but I suspect the usual suspects will be along soon with theirs ! From the exploded diagram supplied with the loco, it looked as if the cab would come off separately but mine wouldn't budge.

There is less detail on the body compared to the Hornby equivalent, but the eyes move, and the much better pick ups and more realistic mechanism are very big plusses IMHO. Cost - a very reasonable £36, similar to the Hornby product - for once ! I might have to order a couple more and get spraying, to replace Iron 'Arry and Bert.

No connection with Bachmann or ToT, just a satisfied customer with a little lad who loves his Thomas trains.

For the price of the model, it's a steal. The best thing about it, which is common with the prototype, is the outside frames. Whereas Hornby opted to go for their SSPP 0-6-0 chassis, used on several other items, the Bachmann model uses an all new chassis.

Pictures of it fresh from the box:

867bbb5d.jpg

80b52f13.jpg

fcbd71bd.jpg

0929b649.jpg

0e23ee9d.jpg

426c4f30.jpg

If anyone wants, I have a full review of said model on my blog:

http://8fworks.blogspot.com/2011/11/Bachmann-58802-devious-diesel-review.html

Good model, I expect a few Hornby ones will go up onto ebay in the coming months.

Jack

Hornby didn't really opt out of doing the outside frames; they just used their old 1950s model which never had them! This is a far better product and I suspect the chassis on its own may well prove useful.

Sorry, I was thinking Hornby had the Lima 08 in their collection of molds when they made Diesel, yet he originally surfaced in 1986. (Might have been 87.)

Pics and dimensions of the chassis.

Total Length: 98mm (137 including couplings)

Total Width: 34mm (39mm including cranks and rods)

Total Height: 44mm

End of wheel to end of wheel: 58mm

Axle to axle: 44mm

Please note that they are approximate, although as accurate as I can get them.

Pictures of the chassis:

28a6375f.jpg

3077f433.jpg

9846b669.jpg

Sourced from my blog.

Hope this is of use for you.

Jack

True, but this Bachmann model is more "dad friendly"........

it does seem very robust too. I know I bang on about these #homas models, but I want to spread the word that there are alternatives to the over priced Hornby models.(yes I know there is a licence fee to pay for, but I don't suppose Bachmann got a free licence either. And Hornbys offerings are mainly old models reworked slightly to Awdryfy them. rant over !)

Hornbys offerings are mainly old models reworked slightly to Awdryfy them. rant over !)

It has to be said that the Rev. Awdry himself used mainly standard commercial models (RTR or kit) for his own models. For example his 'Daisy' was made from the Triang Met-Camm with the cab from the trailer glued onto the (sawn off) brake end.

Archived