Track Plans for North American Layouts

trisonic

Since it is a North American track plan I'm putting this in here - rather than clutter up the "Contrarian Twists On The Inglenook" thread further down - at the moment it is simply a "possiblity" small-space layout, based on a combination of two layouts on pages #92a and #82a in Carls Scrapbook that refer to the "Rathole". Thoughts are welcome

Edit to add - The two curved turnouts are the "original" Setrack ones that PECO made (Smaller radius and shorter length) and not the somewhat larger ones that have replaced them in the Setrack range - they are available on ebay but you need to know the difference in style!

post-6688-0-26571400-1382278426_thumb.jpg

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

Sinbce it is a North American track planj I'm putting this in here - rather than clutter up the "Contrarian Twists On The Inglenook" thread further down - at the moment it is simply a "possiblity" small-space layout, based on a combination of two layouts on pages #92a and #82a in Carls Scrapbook that refer to the "Rathole". Thoughts are welcome

Edit to add - The two curved turnouts are the "original" Setrack ones that PECO made (Smaller radius and shorter length) and not the somewhat larger ones that have replaced them in the Setrack range - they are available on ebay but you need to know the difference in style!

attachicon.gifrathole.jpg

I suppose having the option to pull cars onto the layout as well as push might provide operational interest, but I'd be inclined to get rid of the run-round loop and push all cars from the fiddle yard, especially as cars spotted at Consolidated Typewriter would block the turnout at that end of the loop.

Since it is a North American track plan I'm putting this in here - rather than clutter up the "Contrarian Twists On The Inglenook" thread further down - at the moment it is simply a "possiblity" small-space layout, based on a combination of two layouts on pages #92a and #82a in Carls Scrapbook that refer to the "Rathole". Thoughts are welcome

rathole.jpg

I can see why you used a a three way switch ( to prevent it being on the board joint), but it seems wrong to me. Could you reverse the crossover, then you could get rid of the three way and the problem of the spot for the typewriter company in one go

Thanks, Rod - that answer was one of the reasons I asked

Interesting about run-round loops. I incorporated one into my layout Yorkford, PA (see link below) thinking it was a must. But while operating, including at a recent exhibition, I've found that I only use it to move a tanker from one industry to another. All other operations (and the tanker move, in fact) could be done quite comfortably, and in fewer moves, by pushing or pulling from the fiddle yard.

So my next layout may be even more basic and not have a run-round - I can go down to 3 turnouts instead of 5!

I like the way you've done the non-loop version because you can serve CT without being blocked by cars at DW. Plus there's two less turnouts! Having said that, this version doesn't look any more 'open', but that's because you seem to be allocating more space to buildings.

The "non-loop" version also gets the points of a 3-way switch out of the grade crossing too.  I personally would move the points of the wye switch to the left of the road and put the frog in the road in order to gain a few more inches in the spurs.

In this case there is no need for a loop, all the spurs break off the same way.  FYI, one of the other reasons for a "loop" is to allow multiple access to a long spur serving several cusomers or spots, but having crossovers between the lead and the industry track the switcher can reach in and switch a customer without disturbing the other cars spotted.

MR had a series about an industrial district in Milwaukee that was loaded with type of trackage back in the 1970's.

In another place I mentioned working on big industries, but not so far being able to get a believable rendition of the one I wanted (Corn processing plant) in the kind of space I may have - however corn processing isn't the only industry I've been looking at, and I've got on a bit better with a steel mill. I wanted something that would be switchable on it's own as a small layout at home, or be moved and transported by just myself in one car so I can use it as a module.

Now, i'd always thought of steel mills as mega-sized industries covering vast area's, and some are like that - but a bit of research put me onto the "modern" Electric Arc Furnace mini-mills, which are in several parts of the US, they are still big industries, but not vast...

This one in Seattle WA is one of my inspirations - it's big, but not so big it's impossible, it's all switched from one end via a *tiny* headshunt (connection to the outside world is actually top right, and you have to go under some of the structures - the interchange yard is the other side of the motorway) - they use small GEs as produced by Bachmann, and I reckon you can get about 2 cars and a loco in the headshunt - I just had to angle the buildings to get it all on a sensible board. The furnace is on the right in this image, the scrap bay in the middle, and rolling mills on the left.

This one in Kingman AZ is my inspiration for my one being both smaller and simpler - this one appears out of use, but is quite compact, with a very simple, clean, modern track layout.

This one in Bourbonnaise IL has the right location, but the layout isn't as module friendly - might work on a 4x8 layout, but I couldn't transport that, so copying it directly wasn't an option, it does mean I can set it in the area I want however...

So here we go...it's 12' long, over 4x 3' x 2' (nominal) boards which will box as two pair - the outer ones have a curved/angled end which allows the modular 'main line' to reach it's centred position and makes the whole thing a 45deg curve over the 4 boards. (Sorry, it's a photo of a drawing, so not all the angles are properly 'square' on the image)

The industry operationally is fairly simple - it consists of a scrap bay (inbound scrap metal for recycling) - the furnace (occasional car of lime - and the potential for shipping a hot metal train maybe one day) and a rolling mill (outbound steel coil and plate) - and would be worked by a plant switcher, interchanging cars with the main line in the small yard. The actual arrangement of tracks in the yard and industry is still a bit fluid (the scrap bay may yet go in the middle for instance) - but I think there's space to play with there.

post-6762-0-07875000-1382390525_thumb.jpg

At home i'd use the main line as staging, with a small local staged at the LH end of it and serving the yard as needed, providing a change of cars for the industry switcher.

will I build it? Maybe...I want a new project after Alpha, but it depends on a future house move (working on it) and whether that gets me either a spare bedroom with 12' of length, or a secure garage.

• Like 2

Nice, I really like the idea of a steel mill but like you had thought they were too big. I also like the way you've made a curved module without having it minimum radius and equally angled boards. The sweep of the main line towards the edge of the board frames the mill nicely, although the diagonal arrangement of the mill sheds means lots of cut off buildings, scope for detailed interiors maybe?

Edited by Talltim

...although the diagonal arrangement of the mill sheds means lots of cut off buildings, scope for detailed interiors maybe?

Possible - i'd need to have a play round with it, if they don't have a "back" wall then keeping it structural might be a challenge - I do like the "covered but open" scrap bay from Seattle though, that might be copied.

That said, I notice Walthers do the kit for the rolling mill interior... :)

I like the plan Martyn, plenty potential, regardless of what industry you model. Another suggestion could be a paper mill, a bit like the one modeled by Mike Cofalone in MRH magazine (and video series), but on a slightly larger scale.

Koos

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone 

I have been reading this thread with great interest, but sadly i am no further forward with my own personal small layout. i have been searching google earth and bing maps for something that might suit my small dimensions of 8' x 2' max smaller if possible in HO (i know its small) i found this Springfield, MA - Bing Maps

My question is could i compress this to my needs and would i have enough operational interest (having never built a layout before) apart from an oval with a siding as a child. 

post-8029-0-25170000-1385353027_thumb.jpg

Any feedback would be most welcome 

Craig 

Edited by craig

My question is could i compress this to my needs and would i have enough operational interest (having never built a layout before) apart from an oval with a siding as a child.

Yes I think you would have plenty of operational interest if you set up a card and waybill system for realistic switching.

Something you might think about is an extra siding for the fencing company and a run around facility, plus replacing the fiddle yard with a simple sector plate to save space.

post-6959-0-96714700-1385353742.jpg

Cheers

David

Edited by DavidB-AU
  • Like 2

Yes I think you would have plenty of operational interest if you set up a card and waybill system for realistic switching.

Something you might think about is an extra siding for the fencing company and a run around facility, plus replacing the fiddle yard with a simple sector plate to save space.

attachicon.gif0.jpg

Cheers

David

The original layout is much more like current setups. You don't tend to have a run-around, you just push everything. With the geometry of the fencing company it certainly looks like there should be a line to it, although it might be out of service or lifted. I like the idea of wheel stops at the end of the operational section and a shrubbery growing up between the rails of the out-of-service section.

The run-around would provide more operational interest, though.

Adrian

Just a quicky on the design, it's crossing the board at an angle (which is good, not parallel to the front) but all the tracks have ended up parallel to each other. How about having one of the tracks going off at an angle into a compound rather than just in line like everything else?

looking at the space available, the 'obvious' candidate would be to turn the R&R industries siding to the left as it crosses Oakdale street and have the R&R building itself behind the track rather then in front and turned more at an angle. Add some fencing and a gate and there's a nice isolated industry.  I like the idea of abandoned tracks by the fencing company too, again this can be added to by turning them at an angle to help break it up and have them running off-scene the other way to create the illusion that the line used to go on further too.

post-9147-0-16809600-1385407099.jpg

HTH

• Like 4

Thanks to all who responded in the past 24 hours .. I like they way everyone is thinking about having "Bordour Fencing" rail served either live or disused track, also the possibility for a longer spur siding at "R&R Industries". the only reason I used the 3 way points was to save space so i could make the road over the tracks without affecting the turnouts but i can look at that again. I positioned "Page Blvd" there just to break up the fiddle yard area but maybe a simple cassette feeding the tracks might be better.

Im just so  glad to have google maps as a reference, its making the layout more realistic and plausible to me.

Thanks again everyone ,, much appreciated.

Craig 

Can I offer another suggestion? Bordour Fencing is a new business in an older building with "Ghost Signage" on the wall - the track, which had been lifted, has been replaced with brand new concrete sleepered track (Peco) as they are once again a rail-served industry.

The track leading to R&R Industries is as shown in the previous diagram but one of the original LH Peco Setrack Curved Turnouts, which are much tighter than the current ones, is added at the begining of the spur, with the track beyond the inner curve lifted, the turnout pinned, and the remains of a building foundation beside the lifted trackage. The turnouts are available on ebay, and if anyone wants details of how to recognise the difference between the original and the current, send me a PM

Another small point - the two roads can be closer together, an example being the Major Deegan Expressway in the Bronx, which has the original road almost underneath it - scene of crime in at least two episodes of "Law & Order - SVU".

• Like 2

Good ideas, Jack. It's also worth reminding that such a layout is ideal to get into super-detailing of virtually everything (like Ray's "59th Street") without breaking the bank.

It can also be stretched out (if you have the room) to provide a satisfying layout typical of the real thing (with minimum #8 turnouts) without being too wide.

Best, Pete.

Can I offer another suggestion? Bordour Fencing is a new business in an older building with "Ghost Signage" on the wall - the track, which had been lifted, has been replaced with brand new concrete sleepered track (Peco) as they are once again a rail-served industry.

The track leading to R&R Industries is as shown in the previous diagram but one of the original LH Peco Setrack Curved Turnouts, which are much tighter than the current ones, is added at the begining of the spur, with the track beyond the inner curve lifted, the turnout pinned, and the remains of a building foundation beside the lifted trackage. The turnouts are available on ebay, and if anyone wants details of how to recognise the difference between the original and the current, send me a PM

Another small point - the two roads can be closer together, an example being the Major Deegan Expressway in the Bronx, which has the original road almost underneath it - scene of crime in at least two episodes of "Law & Order - SVU".

I really doubt if concrete-sleepered track would be used for an industry spur, no matter how new.

There are many examples of a low-level surface road with an upper level expressway and ramps connecting the two.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=43.258038,-79.804671&spn=0.003344,0.005177&t=h&z=18

Adrian