Track Plans for North American Layouts

trisonic

Ah,Yes! The Patch! An excellent plan incorporating street-running and switching and concrete canyons - much fun and great for experienced modellers, but not one that I would choose for a beginner - although fine for inspiration

Edited by shortliner

Hi all,

I've recently started to redesign half of my layout, as I'm not happy with the way it operates. It was originally designed as a switching layout, but I expanded it and as such, and not in a good way, so the operational potential is not ideal. Besides, I've since learned more on operations, and it's something I'd like to try and encorporate more of on my new track plan.

I've developed the plan in stages, and I'd like to show you where I'm at now. 

Version 1:

post-16101-0-66052100-1453300361_thumb.jpg

Version one has all the basics , but is lacking in two things, there’s no drill track although the spur between the left yard ladder and the two curved turnouts could function as that. This track could also accommodate cabooses or road power waiting for the next assignment.

So , developing on from that is version 2:

post-16101-0-29736600-1453300362_thumb.jpg

I worked on this version a bit more, to highlight the reason why the yard is ‘bend’, a chimney is the reason.  I have changed the left yard area to incorporate a yard drill track, which will enable switching with additional flexibility to operate the main and siding.   A turnout was replaced by a double slip crossing, enhancing operations further, but also still retaining the track for caboose or road power.  Road power, now also have a servicing facility to park up, by adding another turnout in the main.

Version 2 can still be further enhanced, by moving the curved turnouts further into the curve, giving more space for the ‘caboose track’, and a bit more distance between the curved turnout and the most left yard ladder turnout, which will improve operations/ reliability.

On the right hand side, the left-hand turnout could be replaced by a right-hand turnout immediately after the most right one. This will extend both the siding and receiving track by about 1 car length.

This could then be version 3, and would look like the trackplan below.

post-16101-0-67467900-1453300363_thumb.jpg

Any other suggestions are welcome. A few notes however, this is situated in my loft. Those of you familiar with UK houses, know that for some unbeknown reason (well, that reason would be quick and easy construction/cost) there's a plethora of beams and girders in the way, so I need to 'flow around those'.  Why they can't use heavier beams and get rid of all those inverted W shape constructions... it would be far more useful doing that... 

Koos

• Like 1

Usually a branchline/regional line,  era roughly early 80's, sometimes early 90's depending on which roster I put on the layout.

I've already changed the turnout leading to the service facility into a right hand one, such that the 'main' has the 'straight' and not the diverging route.

post-16101-0-12048600-1453303037_thumb.jpg 

As above.

Edited by torikoos

Hi Simon, 

No I don't have the double slip yet, I 'glued' it in there during the track plan evaluation, trying to keep the track length as long as possible.  I am aware that they are not as common in the US, but any railroad would prefer not to use them as they are expensive etc. 

Yes there are two lines approaching from the left.  The outer comes from 'staging' (rest of world), the inner is visible and comes from another 'town' with a few small industries.  These two tracks eventually join up again at the curved turnout on the right, so there are two loops going around at present. It gives me the option to both have something moving if I feel like it and sit back to watch, but also to operate.

In any case, what you're suggesting would look like this:

post-16101-0-95432800-1453305863_thumb.jpg

Koos

Edited by torikoos

• RMweb Premium

As you might be able to tell by the sudden silence I have come over all indecisive, I think I am going to get the full length in backing paper and then lay out three alternative plans based around suggestions on here that I like. I also have available a short crossing and a three way point Peco.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have finally got a plan of sorts my use of AnyRail is poor but essentially it is Ian's plan stretched to 13 ft long and 15 inches wide in HO. The idea is that there will be tall buildings along the back medium in between the loop and low rise at the front. The operation of switches will be a hand from above and polarity will be covered by insulating fish plates, uncoupling will be by skewer. This may seem primitive but it is affordable. The buildings will be plug in with assorted junk round the base but reusable elsewhere if the baseboards are unreliable.  As it is half term week I hope to have the boards cut down braced covered in cork and track cut to size and laid ready for wiring by the end of the week. Mrs B wants her craft room emptying and repacking so the plan may struggle but it is plan A.  

post-2791-0-29205000-1455471304_thumb.jpg

Edited by skipepsi
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

After a week of moving plan A about the house it has been dismantled and sent outside on its way to the tip. It was a bit numb to put it politely. Yesterday I purchased 5 Celotex boards from Wickes so light I can carry the stack on one hand. Now all I need to do is look at how to make baseboards, I think I will make a supporting ladder like structure for underneath to rest on my trestles or drop leaf table and then look at how to join the boards together. As I understand it boards are faced with thin ply to protect the edges. 

• RMweb Premium

It is on RMWeb now Jack as well. I think it is too big for me as a single worker and unable to leave the layout in siitu between operating sessions, if I built that it would be spend an hour building it up and loading with stock and the same to break it down each session. Something that takes about 20 cars max and two locos would be more successful I think.  The boards have a length of 1.2 metres and a width of 0.45 metres so I think a main layout of 4.8 metres x 0.45m and a practice board 1.2x0.45 m. I have some white faced hardboard to hand so I can use that to face the practice board when I find out which glue to use. After that I am sure there will be plenty of small plans to choose from. Hopefully this way I can learn from my mistakes before tackling the bigger layout.   

Having spent Friday and part of Saturday, at the Glasgow show switching sweetener tanks on Chris Gilberts "Silver Star Industrial Park", (2 freemo boards and a staging board) I can recommend what is basically an Inglenook in 10'. It will eventually be enlarged with additional extension boards

• Like 2

Having spent Friday and part of Saturday, at the Glasgow show switching sweetener tanks on Chris Gilberts "Silver Star Industrial Park", (2 freemo boards and a staging board) I can recommend what is basically an Inglenook in 10'. It will eventually be enlarged with additional extension boards

I can thoroughly recomend looooooonnnnnnnng Inglenooks. Simple track arrangement maybe, but the extra distance to travel, & spot cars, adds to the time taken. My simple branch in O can take an hour to switch just a few cars, without even adding "make believe time" for air/brake tests. Edited by F-UnitMad

How does this work/look then? Never did like the tightness on the end curves of the figure 8 plan several pages ago, so here's the doughnut plan (sorry, being American it should probably be the 'Donut' plan)

I've put more thought into operations and theme here. The ficticious location is somewhere in Florida, the blue twin track line is Norfolk Southern (like i said, ficticious!), the red lines are more along the lines of a class 2 railroad (although still fairly busy judging by it's twin tracks), something like Florida Coast maybe. And the light green are 'short lines' but associated with the class 2 concern. Cane Sugar related traffic would be the main comodity on scene with relevant facilities in the switching yard, but with lots of other types of freight passing through.

post-9147-0-92056900-1456838794_thumb.jpg

Wrapping a triangle into a circle was certainly interesting!

Train length pending, this layout wouldn't be too big in N. The red line is on scene all the way around with easy routes off scene along the short lines.

My main points of confusion concern the NS line. As drawn as a triangle it only has one short spur to reach the exchange loops. If left like this then there's potentially reversing moves onto and off of the mainline. Is this acceptable in North American practice? (If not, another access can be added the otherside of the double diamond crossing to go the other way (drawn in pink)). My second 'stuck' moment is what to do with the NS line when it reaches the front of the layout? It could probably 'off scene' drop under the rest of the tracks and have a storage yard at a lower level, but how do i get it 'off scene' at the front of the layout in some fairly flat Florida scenery?!

I don't have a plan for the switching yard yet, but shunting to various loading/unloading and silos would be the main theme. I enjoy seeing some of the 'street running' youtube videos so some of that has slipped in on one of the short lines.

Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A Plea for some ideas / help for you trackplanners.. (Attention Shortliner! ) :blum: My current layout, Brett, sits on rack shelving and is 8 feet long (1 ft wide). The wall is actually 13 feet, and there is scope to extend. I'm thinking of getting rid of Brett rather than extending it, and starting again. I'm after some track plan ideas... the parameters are..

<>HO North American. Most likely 80s/90s onwards probably New England shortline connecting with VTR. Pretty low key rural switching.

<> Probably use Peco 83. If I can stick to no6 min turnouts and 24" radius curves, then great.. but I'm flexible on that.

<>The space available:

• Wall A is 13 feet long. Layout would need to be on a shelf around 5ft off the floor and ideally 1 ft wide (might be able to push out to 18" but rather not.
  • Wall B is to the left end of A at right angles and is 8 feet long. It is a stud wall and I only envisage a very slim single track run along here.
  • Another 90 degree turn to the left and Wall C is 7 feet. This is over my desk and again ideally limited to 1 ft wide.

I was thinking ( and starting to doodle ideas) around a simple 'yard' on wall C, running along the stud wall, and into a switching area on A. One of Lance Mindheim's plans fit quite well there.

This is REALLY rough - the 'yard' bit particularly!

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-tnO1yt9GuBE/Vt3YQqRJyJI/AAAAAAAACTU/TjrMnYdtglE/s1600/2016d.bmp

If anyone has any ideas, always welcome! One alternative I thought of is to stick the staging on the right of the long wall instead.

• Like 1

A very nice design. Will be fun to operate.   :)   

Couple of thoughts: You could extend the runaround track further to right as you only need the length of your engine(s) past the last switch.  That way you could bring more cars to town and switch more of the spots with one train. You could gain even a bit more length in the runaround at the left end of the siding if you used a R/H switch coming off the curve in the top left corner as well. That would eliminate the S curve there.

Also, if you made a pinwheel ladder into the staging/interchange yard you could almost double the siding lengths and eliminate the S curves. You'd have to get rid of the track going off to the left, but the track against the wall in the yard could be the interchange with the "rest of the world" instead.

If you could double the yard capacity, looks like you'd have space for about 24 cars. And you have about 12 spots and you would be able to fit about 8-9 in the longer run around track. So you could switch up to 8-9 spots per train, and only have the same cars showing up at the industries after 2 trains instead of 1. That would be without having to manually replace any cars in staging between sessions.

If you want to get fancy, you could run a switch lead from staging up the inside of the main. Then you'd have "live" interchange yard and could have two trains/crews working at once. One to swap cars from interchange and make up the train for town, the other to switch town.    

Nice!  

Pete  

Edited by GP9u

Cheers, some good ideas there. My only concern with the 'yard' bit is about interference with headspace over my desk! (and access to the layout over same desk). This may get built in phases anyway, with the main switching bit being fed by a simple narrow two track fiddle shelf on the stud wall to start with.

Had another play with the plan, incorporating some of your ideas..

2016f.jpg