Help with this possible coaling mod.

Carnforth

Mornin'

Can anyone out there help with this?

Below should be a link to a pic of 42224 used here with kind permission of Arthur K of this parish.

It shows what appears to be a local modification to the bunker side, obscuring the inset foot-tread to create a level platform. This pic was taken at Fleetwood . However, I've seen film of 42225 whilst at Tebay with the same modification and there were plenty of Fairburns at Tebay not so modded which leads me to think that both engines may have been shedded together, elsewhere at an earlier time which facilitated this feature. I see that in 1964 they were allocated to Stoke and Derby respectively. I've seen no other Fairburns with this mod, neither can I find any written info.

Any one shed any light?

TIA

Steve

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd71/carnforth/post-6751-12678084036_thumb.jpg

Hm, intersting. I'd defintetly agree that it wasn't a standard modification and was probalby put in to ease hand coaling, shouldn't be too hard to model. I'll check my books to see if there is evidence of other tanks receving this.

ScR

Yes,

The modelling potential is what I had in mind, seeing as I'm central to the location and model such.

leads me to think that both engines may have been shedded together, elsewhere at an earlier time which facilitated this feature.

Both 42224 and 42225 (among other 4P Fairburns 42218 - 23) were allocated to Tilbury (33B) shed in 1952.

Both 42224 and 42225 (among other 4P Fairburns 42218 - 23) were allocated to Tilbury (33B) shed in 1952.

Thanks for that

I suppose the main thing for me is that 42224/5 were at least up here at those dates.

I fancy modelling one, probably 42225, Tebay banker, as I have a DJH kit to make up so would need to cut the foot-treads from the etchings anyway, and have a penchant for modelling off-beat loco's. It would still be interesting to know if any others were so modded and why, although it's surely to do with coaling facilities ( or lack thereof ).

Cheers

Steve

Archived