Steam Shed

Bar Side

Hi

I have a oo layout running round my loft with a few sidings, but no where really to 'park' my not in use steam locos. So, I have a piece of chipboard roughly 120cm x 60cm and am looking at how best to use the space. I have a metcalf 2 road shed building and an atlas ho turntable which I would like to include. Track is mostly peco 100 and medium points. I have so far come up with something like this:

post-220-0-82221700-1320680597.jpg

The main issue is the short length of the road accessing the turntable. But then its quite a short turntable so it not likely to handle brits or anything that long.

I'm not so worried about being prototypical and this would be a sideshow to the main layout, just thinking about a small-ish cameo really, following inspiration from the layout challenge. My layout is 1950's great eastern - I have no idea what the standard at the time was for coaling at Ipswich / Colchester, but I do like my ratio kit, even if its probably more at home in Scotland.

I have put a few bit on the board to give a better idea and took some pictures, but they are poor photos on my phone. Will see if there is anything worth posting soon.

All thoughts gratefully received.

Ivan

a run of 4 points - even settrack short points is going to take up much of the 120cm - it can be very misleading to draw up plans in this schematic way and expect them to translate inot practice.

Nothing wrong in principle with the layout, though I'd take that other road off the turntable as well as the bottom storage one, it seems unnecessary to have a point in the TT access road when a loco will still need to go on the TT to use that point. Saves a point. I would also consider moving the TT northwards, this would allow the three storage roads to be at a slight angle to the bottom right and so longer, using a LH point rather than a RH point and moving the water tower possibly to the south front corner of the shed.

• RMweb Premium

Steam sheds were usually laid out on a flow line principle so that locos came in, had their fires cleaned, over the ash pit, then were filled with coal and water before either going back into traffic orto the shed. Have a look at the layot on my thread about Lancaster Green Ayre, which has one of the most compact layouts that I've seen.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

The big problem with the track layout is that it will involve a lot of toing & froing with most movements having to pass over the single approach road - but then many prototype small sheds weren't much better! And while Kenton's point about saving point work is very valid (and does add stabling space) it also has the disadvantage of blocking access to another roads when the 'table is out of operation - which can be described as something far worse than a nuisance when you're trying to turn locos off shed to run a train service.

Hi

Thanks for the feedback.

Kenton - take your point on the extra set of points. I use I have been trying to maximise the lines not exclusively fed by the turntable. As Kenton says, things can be pretty limited if the table is out of commission. I was thinking of putting various associated buildings (sand store, crew hut, possibly a boiler room) off the main board at the back of the shed - maybe the water tower too?

Jamie - was thinking of having an ash pit in line before the coal tower - would that work? Could also include a water column by the pit - that would give you cleaning out, coal & water before turning or shed?

• RMweb Premium

Thats exactly how Green Ayre was laid out. One long pit when the loco came onto the shed for ash disposal, then a shorter pit for oiling up near the colaing stage with the water column alongside, then off either to the turntable or the shed or both. There were also oiling up pits between the shed and the turntable for loco preparation. Have a look at the plans for Green Ayre. If I get chance I'll photocopy the shed area which shows the pits and the coaling stage then post it. If you added a trailing crossover beyond the coal stage so that locos could coal, then run forward, reverse over the crossover and then back to the shed approach whilst another incoming loco was having it's ashpan emptied, it would make the layout more flexible.

Jamie

Cheers Jaimie, that would be helpful.

My main enemy here is simply space. Might have to admit that & use more space to make this work. Here are a couple of very poor photos from the loft of the board I currently have. I don't think I would have enough room for a trailing crossover beyond the coaling stage.

post-220-0-03687500-1320742136_thumb.jpg

post-220-0-68005800-1320742155_thumb.jpg

Will put a medium point in at the start & take out the point on the table entry. Might be tempted to put another storage line in to the left of the shed instead. Once done I'll do a better photo.

@RJS1977 - was thinking of double decking, but 3 or 4 at a time seemed better ;-)

Ivan

OK, have revised the layout. Found out why the first point (a right hander not a y point) is long - I don't have a right hand medium! post-220-0-35167900-1320960264_thumb.jpg

The right hand line from the table isn't there to feed the factory - thats just there for a backdrop. Perhaps the line should be shorter. Was also thinking about a line running forward from the far left line as a dead end headshunt.

• RMweb Premium

I'm surprised no one has pointed out the recent article in Model Rail 158. The Masterplan is for Ranelagh Bridge, just out of Paddington - apparently!

It is a prototype 'cramped in a corner' layout. Not of a shed, but a stabling point.

Kevin Martin

Archived