Easy graffiti using pens

i have been wanting to add some 'artwork' to my layout for some time but never got round to buying transfers, when i was in smiths the other day i found a pack of sharpie fine tip permanent markers in a load of diffferent colours , so i experimented on a Hornby seacow. what do you think of the results? it was really easy only limited by what you can think off to add to the wagon, i like it and will 'tag' some other stock when i get round to it.

post-6736-12553675884905_thumb.jpg

Hi Dan,

That looks pretty effective. Did you weather the Seacow yourself as well?

One thing I have found with graffitti is that I'm no good at making it up - so when I needed some tags for an underbridge I was building I took a bunch of photographs of the real thing. I was then able to print them out and copy faithfully the tags - although I used acrylic paint. Your method seems like it would be easier to apply, and have more control over the result.

I like it,

Cheers,

Chris.

i had 'dented' a seacow with a soldering iron

That sounds a bit risky!! I read an article once on weathering Scrap Wagons in Rail Express, they had been "dented" by using a Candle Bulb in a small light. Thought this was a good idea, and would not be as hot as a soldering iron.

ColinW

• 1 month later...

I have used some pens suitable for writing on OHP's or CD's for tagging of stock and buildings. (4mm ones not real!)

I've also used Tippex pens, but the reults weren't as good as the other method!

I've used a pen on one of my VGAs as I couldn't get a paint brush fine enough. Graffitti works best when observed from a prototype photo so scowl the internet (Fotopic plus the usual wagon photo websites) and go from there. I've painted on larger detail and used the pen for the fine print in the past... To improve the look of the seacow in the top picture the only thing I'd suggest is painting white onto the wagon first so that the colours are brighter (as per real graffitti) where you've got the bigger tags.

Otherwise great tip.

Check out my workbench - should be a Seacow, BDA and VGA with graffitti on there (all produced on the old forum but they're linked through).

• 1 year later...

Archived