Kadee magnet uncoulper

Hi

I want to install the kadee magnet uncoulper under my track but am I able to ballast over them and also where in the station should I install them? I was thinking about installing them before the point so the engine can uncouple and run round its train? (the best bit is I realised that where 2 of the magnets have to go I forgot and ballasted the track so have to take up some of the ballast to fit them under the track. :(

Thanks

:)

• RMweb Gold

I assume you mean the under-the-track version and if so you can indeed ballast over them but you do need to remember where you put them! A gound signal as a marker, for example. They are quite thick so you could have a problem unless you have deep underlay. I've used 6mm Depron foam underlay which means I only needed to cut a whole in that and lay the magnet directly on the baseboard. Track (Peco code 75) was laid over that and ballasted in the normal way. If your underlay is thinner than that you'll need to cut a hole in the baseboard.

Where you install them is really up to you - you need to decide where in your layout you need to uncouple.

I've also found the magnets to be quite fierce and at times have caused uncoupling as coaches or wagons pass over so the couplings do need to be well adjusted.

The surface-mounted magnets are an alternative but they are visible unless you can disguise them via something like a barrow crossing.

I've also found the magnets to be quite fierce

I find that free running wagons (with metal axles) parked nearby are often attracted to the magnet, and sometimes a wagon will do a 'shimmy' back and forth across a magnet before coming to rest - not very prototypical. I started putting a homemade fine spring bearing down on the axle to restrict the freedom and that helped.

Brian R

I did a trial section of track with the square under track magnet, fitted and ballasted. Nearly all of my stock which has steel axles fitted were attracted back to the magnet when uncoupled and left close by and I was getting uncommanded uncoupling when pulling trains over the magnet. In the end i opted for the better but more expensive option of using their electromagnetic uncoupler which instantly solved the problem. Don't be put off by cutting a hole in you baseboard as this was a lot easier than I first thought. A thin sliver of paper over the top when you place the track and you can ballast over them with no problems.

post-8259-0-64829700-1320838634_thumb.jpg

post-8259-0-01047400-1320838636_thumb.jpg

post-8259-0-41045000-1320838637_thumb.jpg

Guest 40-something

I had the same problem using steel axles but like others have said a piece of foam bearing down on the axle certainly helps. My train lengths are short (typically 8-10 wagons) so this modification causes no ill-effects on even my smallest lightest loco's (Bach Class 08).

Another positive is that its hell of a lot cheaper than electromagnets!

Archived