Oh b... dear - Rectifying a building mistake on a Ratio coach

dseagull

Over the weekend I purchased and began to build a Ratio All Third 4 Wheel Coach kit. By Sunday evening and Downton Abbey, I had got it up to a 'rolling chassis' stage, with the intention of spraying the body with grey primer and painting it before attaching it to the chassis. (To be painted in an all over dull green - think lampposts! - for the hospital railway http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/36708-changes-afoot-in-the-shed-was-tarring-neville/page__st__50 )

However last night, I noticed that I'd put the lower stepboards on incorrectly - or to be exact, upside down. One came off with some gentle prising and has been reattached properly, but the other broke off at the end.

So, two questions - am I better just to patch up the damage by attaching the damaged section back where it was and having the 'correct' side of the coach facing the viewer/operator at all times - or do I try to resolve it with a spare part, a slice of plasticard or similar?

Ta.

I would try to see if you can remove the broken parts, reassemble the broken pieces and then attach correctly.

If you have a set of haemostats (locking clamps) there is a way of dismantling that often works (providing the plastic isn't too thin). What you do is hold the model over a soft surface, clamp the part you want to remove, then with the free dangling clamp providing weight, you wash the join between the part you want to remove and the body of the model with MekPak (keeping fingers well away from the solvent-plastic surface), if all goes well the MekPak will cause the joint to dissolve and separate. Once the two have been separated leave them alone until completely dry and then clean up the surfaces and reassemble

It doesn't always work, but with care you can often salvage a plastic kit this way

F

Archived