Caledonian Railway (Strathclyde PTE) station building

Timara

Readers will probably familiar with my exhibition layout, Auchinraith. Around 3½ years ago I had a building built for me by another forum member and it has fared well for that time, until this summer.... The layout resides in a shed when not in use and it got a bit warm this summer, as many will testify to. Sadly, the building suffered a bit and it was deemed that it was easier to replace than constantly repair. So, I had to bite the bullet, so to speak. It also gave me the chance to turn the entire area around through 180 degrees, to allow the station frontage to be viewed from the junction end of the layout.

I've not had much, if any, experience in modelling buildings, let alone ones such as this, so I was rather glad when a set of Wills stone sheets came my way for not very much. I've based the new model on the same prototype, that of Greenock West in Inverclyde.

Progress thus far after about 20 hours is as below. Internal walls are under works and the inside face of the outer walls is still to be added, hence the glue vent holes being much on view. The roof is the next major item to build.

post-6712-0-68556700-1320856814_thumb.jpg

Basis of construction is of Wills dressed stone with 60 thou plasticard on the rear. I've used almost all the quoins supplied in the country station kit as window mullions, faced off at 45 degrees once fully set. 60x40 microstrip has been used for the various carved decorative elements, along with various thicknesses of plasticard for wider/thicker areas such as the "columns".

Internally, I've opted for just two rooms which are a booking office and a station office. The latter may possibly end up with a new role, as befitting a building in the modern era. The booking office is better seen here below.

post-6712-0-59744400-1320856882_thumb.jpg

Lastly, the door and door frame for the booking office. This will only really be viewable from the rear, which has a pair of windows where it sits above the fiddleyard. This was fun to do, in a manner of speaking, but I only have one more of these to do, I hope!

post-6712-0-82254700-1320856842_thumb.jpg

More to come as and when!

Cheers,

Thanks guys! I should have mentioned the colour scheme this one is set to be given. Outer stonework is the same reddish sandstone as per the rest of the layout, but the interior is more fun.

Thanks to Jamie, I found some photographs of Stirling station after refurbishment in the mid '80s. http://www.flickr.com/photos/35274650@N05/6273669190/in/set-72157627766457597

To say they are useful is putting it mildly! :)

I'm at a loss as to what to go for for the windows. I've seen a few etched examples which are close to what I'm after, but not owning a copy of AutoCAD, drawing them up is a bit of a pain. The arched doorways are glazed in the semi-circular area, which is likely to be fun. Ho hum.....

So this is what you're up to.

Arches still WIP Tim? Would look good for a bit of carving and filling of stonework ;)

Other than that, the "bulky" (maybe "robust" is a better word) nature of sandstone buildings is captured nicely. That plasticard does a pretty good dressed stone, though the mortar courses might be a touch heavy - but as long as the painting doesn't over-emphasise, i.e. no lashings of bright grey mortar paint, you'll be OK I'm sure.

Hi Jamie,

So this is what you're up to.

Indeed! It's been on the go this last fortnight, with customer locos alternating for good measure!

Arches still WIP Tim? Would look good for a bit of carving and filling of stonework ;)

That's certainly the intention and yes, they're still WiP. I'm getting myself a scraper-board knife this week, which will allow me to go about the fun and games of scribing the stonework there. Useful tool to have - as recommended by Tony Gee and Geoff Kent.

Other than that, the "bulky" (maybe "robust" is a better word) nature of sandstone buildings is captured nicely. That plasticard does a pretty good dressed stone, though the mortar courses might be a touch heavy - but as long as the painting doesn't over-emphasise, i.e. no lashings of bright grey mortar paint, you'll be OK I'm sure.

I hope so! I'm aiming for a wash for the pointing and then much individual painting of the stone frontage. I don't care how long it'll take either. These things can't be rushed... ;)

I've had ideas about what to have on the other side, opposite the ticket windows, but I'll mock them up in card first to see how they look before cutting plastic.

Cheers!

Very nicely done Tim. The back wall looks unfinished, so I presume that it will receive a veneer of Wills sheet in due course.

The door looks very good. Scratch built I assume?

I note that the building has various shiny patches from where the MekPak (or whatever you've been using) has spread to and evaporated. Whilst it will disappear when you paint, I would reccomend getting hold of some 3M Cubitron brushes. These come in various grades (in a single pack) and are used for cleaning up surfaces between jobs or before finishing. I heartily reccomend them as a) it makes the work in progress look neater and (more importantly) B) by removing the MekPak spill you return the surface to its original condition which allows you to compare areas that have been worked on with pristine areas (helpful as sometimes the dried MekPak spill obscures places that need attention and which only surface after painting) as well as ensuring the entire model's surface is of the same standard when it comes to finishing. (I did this with the EoD pub, Chagford Raod Signal Box and I'm continuing the practice with Halwill Signal Box and Mr Brunel's Hat)

F

Hi Tim when you phoned me the other night I thought you were looking for the painting details of a Caley building, sorry, I should have realised it would be the modern Caley, like Auchinraith SPTE. Was having a bad day.....

Still it looks good so far.

All the best,

Dave Franks.

Hi Dave,

Hi Tim when you phoned me the other night I thought you were looking for the painting details of a Caley building, sorry, I should have realised it would be the modern Caley, like Auchinraith SPTE. Was having a bad day.....

Still it looks good so far.

All the best,

Dave Franks.

That's ok! It's all worked out now, just....!

Very nicely done Tim. The back wall looks unfinished, so I presume that it will receive a veneer of Wills sheet in due course.

The door looks very good. Scratch built I assume?

Hi Flavio,

Amazingly enough, no - you're the second person to ask me that! It's a modified Wills one as supplied in the kit. The framework is entirely scratch though.

I note that the building has various shiny patches from where the MekPak (or whatever you've been using) has spread to and evaporated. Whilst it will disappear when you paint, I would reccomend getting hold of some 3M Cubitron brushes. These come in various grades (in a single pack) and are used for cleaning up surfaces between jobs or before finishing. I heartily reccomend them as a) it makes the work in progress look neater and (more importantly) B) by removing the MekPak spill you return the surface to its original condition which allows you to compare areas that have been worked on with pristine areas (helpful as sometimes the dried MekPak spill obscures places that need attention and which only surface after painting) as well as ensuring the entire model's surface is of the same standard when it comes to finishing. (I did this with the EoD pub, Chagford Raod Signal Box and I'm continuing the practice with Halwill Signal Box and Mr Brunel's Hat)

F

Yes, I need to deal with some of those areas still..... Thanks for the tip about the brushes though - I'll give them a look and see where I can get some from!

Funny what a night's sleep can do for the brain as I woke up with a load of ideas for the glazed bits, though they need more thought....

Cheers,

That is one lovely building Tim....it's funny, how you had talked to me about it...but seeing is truly believing in this case, it's stunning!

More pics please........... ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Tim -

If it helps, I used Grandt Line windows & doors mainly - although the arched toplights over the main doors were culled / cut and reformed from a Walthers kit, the name of which completely escapes me right now. IIRC it may have had something to do with "Printing" in the title...

I also went for Slaters dressed stone as the nearest to the (very smooth) finish of the red sandstone finish on the real Greenock West station. Not ideal in terms of shape (the Wills you're using is admittedly better shape-wise) but I was put off the Wills by the rougher texture and, as Jamie has alluded, the over-wide mortar courses. Without wishing to give you an egg-sucking lesson, I may be tempted to take some very fine wet & dry to the Wills surface to smooth it over some, and (maybe) run some Squadron White into the mortar courses to "thin" them down a tad. Still, it's looking mighty fine already..

Tim -

If it helps, I used Grandt Line windows & doors mainly - although the arched toplights over the main doors were culled / cut and reformed from a Walthers kit, the name of which completely escapes me right now. IIRC it may have had something to do with "Printing" in the title...

Ah ha, that's useful to know. I had a look on the Grandt Line site right at the start and found a set of windows that would have fitted the bill, but getting hold of them in the UK....?

<snip> I may be tempted to take some very fine wet & dry to the Wills surface to smooth it over some, and (maybe) run some Squadron White into the mortar courses to "thin" them down a tad. Still, it's looking mighty fine already..

Thanks! I might just try doing a spot of sanding down of the front and side, just to get it a little smoother....

Cheers,

Archived