Not sure if this is the totally correct spot, but here I blindly go anyway.

I've collected a few of Bachmann's ScotRail 158s (First Barbie)... well, I say a few, make it about 4 pairs. To join in with the other two (a FTPE and also an earlier Express ScotRail set too). Obsession? Well, probably. :D

I've been rummaging round Google and other seedy places to see if anyone has actually modified the OO scale cabs with the modified fairings/plough section that the ScotRail units have. Having started to put in the Kadee No. 5s on the cab ends for multiple running (which also carry an extra slotted locking device to secure them together) and a DIL switch to turn the unused :LEDs off whilst running, I've decided not to continue for the moment until I find out a bit more about the cab modifications itself.

Has anyone ever undertaken the work to do the modified fairing? If so, pics would be great. Or, if anyone knows of a commercially available cab to fit onto the existing body, then that info would be most welcome also.

Cheers.

PS I also need info on what products for renumbering three of the sets I would need as well.

Hurst make a whitemetal casting of a 158 lower fairing with plough which you can use to replace the Bachmann part, but I think it looks a bit dated - it's a one-piece casting and on the real thing the plough is a separate piece.

Not tried it, but would a US 'weedcutter' plow retrofit to the existing fairing to give the right look?

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/235-150

Hurst make a whitemetal casting of a 158 lower fairing with plough which you can use to replace the Bachmann part, but I think it looks a bit dated - it's a one-piece casting and on the real thing the plough is a separate piece.

Not tried it, but would a US 'weedcutter' plow retrofit to the existing fairing to give the right look?

http://www.walthers....uctinfo/235-150

That US part is amazingly close to a 156 part, isn't it? I may have to look at that for the SPT unit.

I shall do further investigating on everything presented. Looks like a big job ahead. :D

• RMweb Gold

I've fitted the hurst part to some ex scotish units in the Wessex fleet

It's a simple mod to make (cut the original off, clean up the casting, paint and glue on)

While its not up to current standards, its better than nothing and does fit the general level of detail of the Bachmann 158

Archived