Euro 66

Chameleon

They are being used in the UK when not required for duties in France.

Incidently, all UK based vehicles all have the European Vehicle Number (EVN) allocated to them, although there is no requirement to carry them at the moment if they are only being used within the UK, if they venture further afield, then they also carry the EVN number under the Railways Interoperability Regulations.

An example of this is Freightliners class 66s that are in use in Poland, they carry two numbers, a 66XXX one and a EVN 13 digit one.

Guest oldlugger

I've often seen them around Paris (south side) when I travel up from the south of France on the TGV; they always look rather small compared to French locos with their higher loading gauge. I've also seen video and photos of these locos in Germany on the DBAG.

I've often seen them around Paris (south side) when I travel up from the south of France on the TGV; they always look rather small compared to French locos with their higher loading gauge. I've also seen video and photos of these locos in Germany on the DBAG.

They come quite a bit closer to you than Paris; they quite often work the Rhone corridor, and I believe they may have worked the Gardanne bauxite trains and the car-parts train that runs from Spain to Italy. They have an Ugly Sister as well, the grey-painted Class 77- this is a new-build 66 with a big air-con module on each cab roof.

The idea of using the 66 was to 'prove the market' for ECR/DBS in France with under-utilised assets from the UK, before committing to something more expensive. A lot of their longer-distance flows have gone over to electric haulage subsequently. They've progressed remarkably, considering that they started with just ten or so drivers who'd left Eurotunnel Coquelles when we were being given a haircut a few years ago..

The large fuel tank of the pre-low-emission version of the 66 may give them some advantage over other operators for the longer runs on the Continent. I may be imagining it but I think we see more of these returning to the UK during RHTT season when the demand for locos here is greatest.

The large fuel tank of the pre-low-emission version of the 66 may give them some advantage over other operators for the longer runs on the Continent. I may be imagining it but I think we see more of these returning to the UK during RHTT season when the demand for locos here is greatest.

There are short-term returns during the autumn/winter, along with returns for overhaul at Toton (ECR have only limited maintenance facilities, near Rouen). In the longer term, other locos may return, due to changes in traffic patterns and other factors

Archived